Perfect Crusting Chocolate Buttercream As You Requested

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 5:45pm by letsgetcaking

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 10

As several of you have requested, I added the recipe to the recipe folder. It is called "Perfect Crusting Chocolate Buttercream". Hopefully you'll all see this so I don't have to pm everyone back... icon_wink.gif

Once I submitted it said it is in moderation and will appear in a few days. In the meantime...

Here is the recipe I used to decorate this cake http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1703016

Perfect Crusting Chocolate Buttercream

Have tried several chocolate buttercream recipes and haven't been sold on any of them... Maybe because I'm not a big fan of buttercream in general... anyway, had to make a last minute cake with chocolate buttercream filling and icing... so I just started throwing things in the mixer. It turned out beautifully and my family is now eating the icing by the spoonful. Add 1/2 cup of peanut butter and you have an amazing chocolate peanut butter icing or filling... If using as a filling, chop up some peanut butter cups and sprinkle on top of the filling once you've put it on the cake and it's beyond belief!

INGREDIENTS:
6 sticks or 3 cups of salted butter (softened)
3 tbsp milk
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa powder (special dark for a darker frosting)
1 bag of Ghiradelli 60% cacao dark chocolate chips (melted)
2lbs (1 bag) of confectionerâs sugar

DIRECTIONS:
1. Mix butter, milk, vanilla, and cocoa powder in your mixer until thoroughly combined and smooth.

2. Melt your chocolate chips in the microwave on 30 second intervals stirring between heating. Then pour into the mixer a little at a time mixing as you go.

3. After the chocolate has been added to the other ingredients and you have a smooth consistency, add in the confectionerâs sugar. I just drape a dish towel over my kitchen aid and pour in the whole bag. Then turn it on low and let it go for a couple of minutes. If it is a little too thick, add another tablespoon of milk.

4. Let it sit at room temp for a couple of hours and ice your cake! Also great as a filling.

FOR DARKER CHOCOLATE... Use the Hershey's special dark cocoa powder or add 3 drops of black food color and about a teaspoon of brown. You'll get a nice dark chocolate color.

FOR CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER FILLING⦠add 1/2 cup of peanut butter to your butter mixture before adding your powdered sugar.

PEANUT BUTTER CUP FILLING⦠sprinkle chopped peanut butter cup between the layers after you spread your filling. NOTE: I don't recommend mixing the peanut butter cups into your filling will just break them down into nothing and you won't even recognize they are there...

9 replies
Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 10

Interesting recipe....I'll definitely try it out! Thanks.

p.s. The buttercream looks very smooth on that cake. Your icing is like a mix between ganache and buttercream according to the recipe. I hope it works so well for me!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 10

this looks very interesting! Does it have a 'dark' chocolate taste to it? It looks very yummy on your picture.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 10

Yum - I love dark chocoate!

CakeInfatuation Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 10

Surprisingly the chocolate taste isn't really strong like it would be if you made a chocolate ganache using the Ghiradelli chips. It's more of a milk chocolate... guess it is all the butter. icon_smile.gif

Everyone's tastes are different though so the best I can say is just try it and then share what you think.. I used it on 2 cakes this week so we'll see what my clients have to say. icon_smile.gif

rcolson13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcolson13 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks for sharing! If you melt the chocolate and let it cool a little before you add it, can you use the icing immediately?

CakeInfatuation Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 10

I don't know.. ha ha

When I added the melted chocolate to the butter mix, it essentially melted the butter... so I let it sit a bit so it would set up. I wasn't sure if it would crust if I didn't let it sit.

You can certainly try.

jcstefanick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcstefanick Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 10

I couldn't find your recipe in the recipe section, but I did copy it and email it to myself from this post, as I definitely want to try this one. It sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing!

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 10

Sounds wonderful! I have been searching for the perfect chocolate buttercream. Can't wait to try it.

Thanks so much for sharing.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:45pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks for sharing. The recipe sounds delicious and your cake is beautiful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%