Writing On Fondant With Buttercream Icing????

Decorating By ckeel127 Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 9:19pm by cake4baby

ckeel127 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a cake that will have a fondant ribbon (Wilton ready made rolled fondant) along the front of my cake. I want to write on the ribbon a word but am unsure what to use. Can I use a frozen buttercream transfer and place it on the fondant ribbon or will this damage the fondant????

I want to use the same type of font/writing style for my word so I just can't do it freehand. Can you please give me ideas on how I can write on fondant????

Any suggestions would be helpful!

4 replies
cake4baby Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 5

This is just an idea since you need the lettering to match and not be freehand....
place parchment or wax paper over the print and trace it in RI, making sure the icing letters are thick enough to handle when dry.
Once they dry you can carefully peel the paper from the lettering
and glue them in place onto the fondant ribbon

mom2spunkynbug Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 5

I'd use royal icing too icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 5

U can also make up an impression to use like a stamp. Use ri to pipe what you want to say onto something solid - if you have something clear, you can have a print out underneath to trace. Just remember to do it the right way round!
Once the ri is dried, press it gently onto the fondant, it will leave an impression you can then pipe over, with bc or royal.
Others have described this much better than ne in other posts, lol!

cake4baby Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 5

Here is a link that describes what I was trying to explain in a bit more detail, along with a RI recipe if you need

Quote by @%username% on %date%