Whipped Icing?

Decorating By MandiJ Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 5:26pm by Rose_N_Crantz

MandiJ Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 14

Where can I find a whipped icing recipe similar to what Wal-Mart or Harps uses? I have a friend who doesnt like BC and want whipped instead. TIA!

13 replies
cakesbymark Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 14

you can go and buy a bucket from your local sams club

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 14

You can get Rich's Bettercreme from Sam's Club or GFS (Gordon Food Services). I buy the kind that I just whip up in my mixer.

MandiJ Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 14

Wow, Ok, so there is no recipe for it? We have a Sams Club about an hour away but if that is what I have to do then I will do it.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 14

The recipe for that stuff has a bunch of weird chemical preservatives in it. So I'm sure it would be difficult to find all the ingredients for that.

Have you tried searching for whipped topping recipes in our recipe section?

MandiJ Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 14

Yeah, and nothing really came up, I think I will just go to Sams and get it. My friend is pretty picky so it might be better just to get the real deal anyway. icon_biggrin.gif

Tracy7953 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 14

There is a recipe on this site for flour frosting. It claims to be the one bakeries use and tastes like that whipped icing you are talking about. Has anyone tried it?

MandiJ Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:32pm
post #8 of 14

I think I will try it as a test run and see how it tastes, if it doesnt turn out then I can get the stuff from Sams. Thanks for finding this for me! Hopefully it is yummy!

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:32pm
post #9 of 14

When is this cake due? Would you have time to order a carton of unwhipped instead? You might have more luck coloring it if you go with unwhipped and whip it yourself.

If not, be sure to call ahead to that Sam's to make sure they will sell it to you and if so, if they have enough. It is grad season, I work at a Sam's and we've been getting down to the last bucket on some stuff.

MandiJ Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:38pm
post #10 of 14

The cake is due on the 26th. I will call them before I go, that is a good idea. I think I might call the Wal-Mart here in my town and see if they sell it, probably not, but it is worth a try...right?

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:53pm
post #11 of 14

The worst that can happen is they say no.

Then of course you would be back to square one. But I know all the Sam's in my area sell their frosting. Btw, if you end up going to Sam's, they also sell their colored but'r'creme frosting for very cheap, around $10. I only mention it because one of the colors is black, and we know how difficult black can be at times, especially if you can't start with chocolate bc as a base!

MandiJ Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:45pm
post #12 of 14

even better! Thank you so much!! I need Royal Blue for a batman cake so colored would be awesome!! Do I call and ask the bakery?

MandiJ Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:01pm
post #13 of 14

Another question, I bought the Wiltons Sports Ball Pan Kit for another cake I am doing and it has 4 pkgs of the Wiltons premade icing....the lady at the bakery at Wal-Mart said that it is very similar in taste and texture to the BetterCream. Do you know if this is true? And if so has anyone ever worked with it? All I need to do is ice the cake solid the decorations are going to be all fondant. My main concern is how many days in advance can I need to make it since I want to make it to taste so that I have enough time to run to Sams if it is gross or no where near the same as whipped.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:26pm
post #14 of 14

I think the premade would be more like an american buttercream rather than a whipped. We always tell people who ask that the whipped(Bettercreme) is more like a sweet cool whip. But I've never had wilton's premade icing, or any of their icing really. I stick to my recipe I found on here.

The bakery should have enough colors on hand, but it really doesn't hurt to call and ask before you go. Especially if you're going to be driving an hour to get there.

As far as the time frame goes, I'm finishing up a bridal shower cake tonight for a party tomorrow evening. I baked on monday, froze tuesday, carved/iced/ and covered with fondant yesterday, and decorated this morning. Tonight I'm going to stack, put on the finishing touches and take it over. Hope that helps. I made the icing last week though because I know I'm super busy at work so I did as much as I could as early as I could.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%