How Do I Make A Sugar Butterfly Cake Topper?

Decorating By cakemom888 Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 6:35am by cakemom888

cakemom888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom888 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:46am
post #1 of 5

I need to make a sugar butterfly topper for a 6" cake and I have no idea where to start. I just know that I want it to be 3D, and not lie flat. If anyone has any suggestions or tips I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

4 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:08am
post #2 of 5

Michael's Crafts carries a product called Amazing Mold Putty. You mix the tow together and place it over the item you want to reproduce and you get a silicone mold. I am using it as we speak to make a mold of a piece of tree bark for a wedding cake. It sets in 20 minutes and you can use poured hot sugar to make candies. I believe it works for up to 500 degrees you would have to check the products website. It is dishwasher safe and food safe. If you can find a butter fly in the size and shape that you are looking for this might work. Oh and dont' t forget to look up free printable Michael's coupons online. You can save 40% I do it all the time.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:22am
post #3 of 5

I did this one with plain fondant, butterfly cookie cutter, on white floral wire, with a posy pic and floral glue. I dried the butterflies on the corner of a rectangular sheet pan to get the angle, attach to wire with royal icing. Floral glue & posy picks are awesome for creating toppers.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1565615&sub=1565621

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 5

Duplicate post, please see other for additional responses
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6845393.html#6845393

cakemom888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom888 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:35am
post #5 of 5

Okay, I think I've got some great ideas to start with. Thanks, everyone for your help!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%