I Need My Cherry Cake To Be Red - Please Help?!?

Baking By cakesbyDK Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 3:57am by mbark

cakesbyDK Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:04am
post #1 of 6

ok - the bride loved my sample of "Lou's Cherry Wedding Cake" recipe (baked as a 'dream cake') but she wants RED cake and it definitely bakes up pink... any suggestions that won't change the flavor???

5 replies
klynne Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:18am
post #2 of 6

Thats an easy one,,,,,just add some no taste red icing tint to your cake.

cakesbyDK Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:46am
post #3 of 6

thx for the response! i don't usually use the "posting" area and am still finding my way around... sorry!

i should have been more specific - i did add 1 tsp of Wilton no-taste red to a single batch, but since this cake will need to serve 80 i was concerned about adding so much coloring... plus i have always used gel or liquid so i also wondered if a powder would be better???

thx again!

leily Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:04am
post #4 of 6

i would use an ounce or two of the red food coloring liquid. Pour it into your measuring cup before you measure the water though. Then fill the remaining part with water (so you're replacing a couple ounces of water with the coloring.)

cakesalone Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:28am
post #5 of 6

What about using a cherry extract? I used Strawberry extract to color my red frosting this weekend, and it was a fabulous red for a change with a slight strawberry flavor. Not sure how it would work on a cake, but it may enhance the flavor.

mbark Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:57am
post #6 of 6

is that a recipe on here? sounds yummy..

Quote by @%username% on %date%