Help With Graduation Cap................

Decorating By abed Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 1:44pm by cakesbymark

abed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abed Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:50am
post #1 of 12

I am trying to make a graduation cap, I've tried to grease a round pan, I've tried to use corn startch and then put the fondant, but the problem is that it sticks to it and hard to remove. Any tips on this?

11 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:06am
post #2 of 12

Try making a liner of wax paper or foil. The fondant is also easier to remove after it has dried. To speed up drying time can you add some gumpaste to the fondant?

princesscatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscatt Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:11am
post #3 of 12

I just made one with all gumpaste. I molded a sheet of white gumpaste inside a small pyrex bowl. Once it dried for a few days I took it right out and painted it with black food coloring and some vodka mixed so it would be shiny. You can make the board part the same way. Use a garlic press for the tassle.

honuwebd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honuwebd Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:17am
post #4 of 12

What are you trying to make the cap out of? Anything? You could always try RKT and cover that in BC and fondant. That's how we did one this weekend. We also used a piece of thin cardboard to mold the top of the hat out of and it worked really well. And if you insist on using a pan/bowl, use something like conf sugar to make sure the fondant doesnt stick

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:24am
post #5 of 12

i always bake a small amount of cake in a cereal bowl for the cap part and then cover in black fondant and attach the mortor board on top.

cakemom888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom888 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:19am
post #6 of 12

I use the smallest round cake pan I have. I've used a 6" round and I've also used a pan that is like 3" or so. I just cover the tiny cake with black fondant and then cut a square piece of cardboard, I use a paint brush to get the cardboard a little wet, and then cover it with fondant. I'm not brave enough to make the flat part of the cap with just fondant or gumpaste for fear that it will break, but I don't feel bad about it either. Both of the graduation caps I've made have turned out really cute! I have pics up of them if you want to check them out. Good luck! icon_rolleyes.gif
LL

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:30am
post #7 of 12

Since no one (in their right mind) will eat the cap...I used a balloon and when my 50/50 was dry...popped the balloon!

bvwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bvwilliams Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:51pm
post #8 of 12

I used a 6" rd pan and half of the small sport ball pan to make the bottom of the cap. To make the square top part, I just used cake board covered in fondant. I have a graduation cake posted on CC if you want to view it.

abed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abed Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 12

what a wonderful idea, using a balloon and then popping it, I'll have to try that. thanks.

abarnet3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abarnet3 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:41am
post #10 of 12

I actually took a small bowl and turned it upside down. Put cling wrap or press n seal on it. Covered with fondant and let dry. I actually just cut a square of fondant for the very top and let all of it dry about 3-4 days. It turned out great. I also had issues making the tassle. Went to Hobby Lobby and they have small ones in the fabric section that worked great. You can see one in my cake photos.

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:27pm
post #11 of 12

DON"T POP!!! Stick a pin and just deflate!

Works for Chocolate Bowls too!

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:44pm
post #12 of 12

mine was made with a 8in cake with a carved top to get the shape and foam board covered for top part, used play duh gun to make my tassles
this was for my daughters preschool grad party just last week, see pics

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%