Dusts, Dusts, Dusts... Which One To Buy???

Decorating By therese379 Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 6:50pm by therese379

therese379 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:08am
post #1 of 8

I have ordered petal,disco,highlighter,twinkle and a few others..... I want to paint fondant accents gold or silver.... WHAT DO I BUY.... I always email and ask which to buy and when I receive my order, it is ALWAYS wrong... I'm soooooo frustrated. I'm trying to make a purse cake for my daughter and need to order the proper dust... can anyone help.... thanks

7 replies
JanH Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:16am
post #2 of 8

The difference in petal, luster, highlight and Disco dusts:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-54059.html

HTH

therese379 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:25am
post #3 of 8

JanH, thanks for the help... I have all the dust's listed.. I still don't know which gold or silver to use.... they don't seem to work... I own at least 35 different dusts, none of which can look like the painted effect I need...... icon_cry.gif

JanH Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:29am
post #4 of 8

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. icon_cry.gif

Perhaps if you could give more info, it would be helpful. icon_smile.gif
(Do you have a photo of a cake that shows the color you're trying to achieve.)

eccl1-12 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:19am
post #5 of 8

Not a cheap alternative, but I just got an airbrush and some ready to use gold, silver and pearl sheen for it (food coloring of course) and I love it. Obviously it doesn't do everything but if you are doing large areas or pieces that can be painted and then put onto the cake, it is wonderful. I have even applied the airbrush gold liquid with a paintbrush. Doesn't work for large areas via the brush, but fine for details.

sammie192 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:30am
post #6 of 8

Hi Therese I have some what the some problem. Not ordering a lot of different dust but trying to get the right gold. ok I got gold glaze you put on layers more they one. 30-mins. between coats. It work like the dust but no flavoring or mixing anything. Go to www.fondantsource.com they have it. Its called gold glaze.I hope this help.

4realLaLa Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:30am
post #7 of 8

That link was mega helpful. I had never even heard of pixie dust. I have a few of the luster dust but I am yet to use them. Maybe I'll give them a try now. Thanks for posting JanH.

therese379 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 8

janH, sorry I don't know how to link to a picture(my kids are not home) as I laugh... I'm not the greatest with computer knowledge.... I want to paint a zipper in gold or silver... thanks to all that helped.. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif maybe I will have to buy an airbrush machine. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%