Can I Use Ready-To-Use Gel Tubes On Cookies

Baking By Mickeebabe Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 12:50pm by TracyLH

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 10

I'm making some cookies for a sports theme baby shower and want to make soccer balls, baseballs and footballs. I'm going to cover them in fondant, so can I add the accents like the red laces on the baseball with the ready-to-use gel tubes you can buy at Michaels? Will they dry enough to be able to pack them in cookies bags? And if you think that wouldn't work, any other suggestions?

Thanks for all the help.

p.s. here's the texture set I'm using on the cookies:
LL

9 replies
amycapen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amycapen Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:08am
post #2 of 10

You could paint the accents on with gel food coloring or use royal icing and pipe the designs on...

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:14am
post #3 of 10

Of course! That's how I do the tye dye tee shirt cookies (in my pix.) icon_biggrin.gif

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:20am
post #4 of 10

But could you use them on fondant? And then dry enough to bag them? (sorry, but I don't like working with RI.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Of course! That's how I do the tye dye tee shirt cookies (in my pix.) icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:23am
post #5 of 10

You can use them on fondant, but they will always remain "tacky" or slightly sticky. You might try using a candy writer which is melted, colored chocolate in the same kind of tube -- check the chocolate aisle at the local cake shop. Those work well too but you have to heat them up before using.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:39am
post #6 of 10

Are you talking about the gel tubes like the Cake Mate you see in the grocery store?:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031B73MS/?tag=cakecentral-20

If so, from my knowledge these will not dry. I can't tell if you are talking about the Wilton Icing Colors at Micheal's instead. If so, those or Americolor gel paste color can be painted on the dry fondant surface after being mixed with vodka to help it dry faster. I have seen others use a clear extract instead of vodka, for example, lemon.

I am a big fan of Antonia74's RI if you need a good RI recipe:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1983/antonia74-royal-icing

Bob's idea is quick and easy. I send those to my best friend to use with pre-flooded cookies as she does not navigate a kitchen and this is easy for her and the kids.

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:17pm
post #7 of 10

No, the candy writers are different than the gel writers. CK makes both kinds. Candy writers are chocolate in a tube and gel writers are colored piping gel in a tube.

TracyLH Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:21pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for clearing that up, Bob! I was talking about the candy writers as being the ones I sent to my best friend.

So you have found that the CK colored piping gel in a squeeze tube dries? Iif so, that is good to know.

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:24pm
post #9 of 10

Well it dries but it can remain tacky. For example the tye dye tees need to set up and since the gel is set into the royal icing it eventually dries with the icing but you can feel the different texture on top. However, I've used it to make stained glass cookies and it does remain tacky -- give it a few days and it dries.

TracyLH Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:50pm
post #10 of 10

That is good info. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%