Help, It's Been Too Long

Decorating By Cakekween Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 11:40pm by mamawrobin

Cakekween Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 7

I know I should know this. It has been about 4 years since I was really decorating cakes and now I am trying to make a cooler cake. Should I be using card board between the layers? Or can I just stack the layers on top of each other and support with dowels? I am using four 9X13 cakes. Thanx!

6 replies
kerrimanda Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 7

I'm new at this, but I would say be safe and use cardboard with the dowels. I made a 2 layer 9X13 last weekend and it was really heavy.

nonilm Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 7

I have stacked 4 - 1.25" high layers of 9X13. Yes it is very heavy but if you are just doing a rectangle you should be fine. Just be sure to level each layer. I tried to get away with what looked to be flat once and ended up with a big crack on top of my cake icon_eek.gif

Now if you are talking about stacking 4 2" high layers you may want to use a layer of cardboard in the center. Think about cutting the cake you would have really tall pieces of cake without the cardboard.

Oh another thought what type of filling are you using? BC should help it stay put, something "slippery" may not be a good idea.

KHalstead Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 7

Honestly, when I stack sheet cakes like that....I like to put a board between each layer.

Here's how I would do it.

First of all, use a sturdy 1/2 inch foam core board or piece of plywood for the baseboard on the cake, then put a 9x13 down, ice the whole thing, lay another layer of cake, ice that cake, insert dowel rods...then cut a sheet of wax paper for the top of the cake, lay it over the icing....then put another carboard cake board on top of that followed by 2 more layers of cake, Ice the whole thing and decorate.

The wax paper will help you when it's time to serve. You can cut and serve by cutting the top of the cake and cutting down until you hit the cake board...once that cake is all served, pull off the cardboard cake board, peel back the wax paper, and you'll have a perfectly iced 9x13x4 cake ready to continue cutting and serving.

HTH

aej6 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Honestly, when I stack sheet cakes like that....I like to put a board between each layer.

First of all, use a sturdy 1/2 inch foam core board or piece of plywood for the baseboard on the cake, then put a 9x13 down, ice the whole thing, lay another layer of cake, ice that cake, insert dowel rods...then cut a sheet of wax paper for the top of the cake, lay it over the icing....then put another carboard cake board on top of that followed by 2 more layers of cake, Ice the whole thing and decorate.

The wax paper will help you when it's time to serve. You can cut and serve by cutting the top of the cake and cutting down until you hit the cake board...once that cake is all served, pull off the cardboard cake board, peel back the wax paper, and you'll have a perfectly iced 9x13x4 cake ready to continue cutting and serving.

HTH

Jumping in to say thanks...great, specific assistance/advice!! THANKS!

Cakekween Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 11:04pm
post #6 of 7

I appreciate the suggestions icon_smile.gif I was really starting to freak out. Im going with cardboard and dowels and wax paper......didn't think about cutting it. I'm just worried about getting it there!!!

mamawrobin Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

HTH

Ditto. I can only imagine what would have happened if you'd only used the dowels icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%