Client Took Credit For My Cake!

Decorating By LindieLu Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 2:54am by DH2008

LindieLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindieLu Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 43

So I made a cake over the weekend for a coworker. (I make them on the side) She asked me to make the baby shower cake over a month ago and we had discussed what she wanted (it was for her friend's baby shower). So I made it and brought it to her house and then she brought the cake to the party.

When I saw her at work on Monday she told me that she told everyone that she made the cake!! I was furious!!! icon_mad.gif I asked her why she did that and she said that "well, they know I make cakes"... Well, obviously she wasn't too confident in her skills since she asked me to do it in the first place. To top it off, apparently her husband was really upset that she spent so much money on the cake because he said that she could have made it. Ummm... yeah, sure it looks like a "simple" cake.. but if she knew how to do it (and made it look nice) don't you think she would have done it herself?!? Just made me really irritated that #1 I spent a ton of time on this cake and it was 100 degrees on Saturday (no joke!) with wicked humidity and then she had the audacity to claim it as her own?!? and then #2 for her husband to say that spent too much money on that.. if he only knew the amount of time, energy, and money into that cake perhaps he would have a different view!

Sorry to vent... but i feel so much better now.

I will post a picture of the cake later.....

42 replies
LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 43

that is horrible why would she claim it as her own. Im sure it will come back to bite her in the butt eventually though. Someone will ask her to do a cake and they will see the difference between them and know something was up.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 43

I heard about this happening to another person on here. Only she didn't find out about it until her client had been a regular client for a number of years! It started when she bought her first cake from the baker. It was a car cake for her fiance's birthday. He loved it and asked "Did you make this for me?" The bride to be was caught off guard and just said "yeah!". So then after that the client would always pick up the cakes from the baker or ask to meet in weird places to pick up the cake.

Fast forward a few years and the regular client is moving out of state and is freaking out about what to do about "her" cakes now. lol.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 43

Well, that just bit her in the butt 'cause from now on you should be a cake nazi.."No cake for YOU!"

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 43

That is terrible!

Reminds me of this "joke" that makes its way around the web. A lady went to some sort of a sale and bought a nice cake. She was having a party at her house. She told the guests that she made the cake and when it was cut into, it was a roll of toilet paper in the middle!!!! lol Wouldn't you have loved to have been a fly on the wall then???? lol

What comes around goes around....

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 43

I agree with catlharper. Now you know. You'll never get a referral order by providing her with cake. Fool me once and all that. Just wait- someone will ask her advice and she'll fall on her face.

LisaMarie86 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 43

People are insane I cant believe the one lady took credit for years. How awful.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 43

I've had someone else tell me this happened to them (similar anyway) so they started putting their business card on the cake board with a piece of clear *something* on top to keep from contaminating the cake (saran? contact paper? can't remember, sorry) so if that person ever tried to claim credit again... BUSTED! Apparently she got a VERY angry call from the customer who 'made' the cake when they cut into it and found the card! hehehe. Serves her right! icon_twisted.gif

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 43

How can people do this? I would have been furious too.
How can someone trick her family and friends for many years? Unbelievable :-O

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:31pm
post #10 of 43

Next time put "This cake was made by (your name) and phone number", on the cake board. Then when the cake is cut and served, they will know who to call next time.

Sorry for the cake deception.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:32pm
post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

I've had someone else tell me this happened to them (similar anyway) so they started putting their business card on the cake board with a piece of clear *something* on top to keep from contaminating the cake (saran? contact paper? can't remember, sorry) so if that person ever tried to claim credit again... BUSTED! Apparently she got a VERY angry call from the customer who 'made' the cake when they cut into it and found the card! hehehe. Serves her right! icon_twisted.gif

Nice!!!!!! Love that idea!!!!

LisaMarie86 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:34pm
post #12 of 43

I love the idea of putting your card where they cant remove it without it being noticeable and that way people will know who made the cake. Although you might not get orders from her again. Id say worth it though.

Melvira Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:37pm
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie86

I love the idea of putting your card where they cant remove it without it being noticeable and that way people will know who made the cake. Although you might not get orders from her again. Id say worth it though.

Absolutely worth it, I agree! Of course, there is the slight hint of flattery that the cake was 'good enough' that she'd take the credit. As if that were ever in doubt, right? Hehe.

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:38pm
post #14 of 43

Someone just sent this to me last week.

Have you ever told a white lie? You are going to love this, especially
all of the ladies who bake for church events:

Alice Grayson was to bake a cake for the Church Ladies'
Group in Tuscaloosa , but forgot to do it until the last minute.
She remembered it the morning of the bake sale and after
rummaging through cabinets, found an angel food cake mix &
quickly made it while drying her hair, dressing, and
helping her son pack up for Scout camp.

When she took the cake from the oven, the center had dropped
flat and the cake was horribly disfigured and she exclaimed,
"Oh dear, there is not time to bake another cake!" This cake
was important to Alice because she did so want to fit in at her
new church, and in her new community of friends. So, being
inventive, she looked around the house for something to build
up the center of the cake. She found it in the bathroom - a roll
of toilet paper. She plunked it in and then covered it with icing.
Not only did the finished product look beautiful, it looked perfect.
And, before she left the house to drop the cake by the church
and head for work, Alice woke her daughter and gave her some
money and specific instructions to be at the bake sale the moment it opened at 9:30 and to buy the cake and bring it home.
When the daughter arrived at the sale, she found the attractive,
perfect cake had already been sold. Amanda grabbed her cell
phone & called her mom.

Alice was horrified-she was beside herself! Everyone would know!
What would they think? She would be ostracized, talked about,
ridiculed! All night, Alice lay awake in bed thinking about people
pointing fingers at her and talking about her behind her back.

The next day, Alice promised herself she would try not to think
about the cake and would attend the fancy luncheon/bridal shower
at the home of a fellow church member and try to have a good time.
She did not really want to attend because the hostess was a snob
who more than once had looked down her nose at the fact that Alice was a single parent and not from the founding families of Tuscaloosa , but having already RSVP'd , she couldn't think of a believable excuse to stay home.

The meal was elegant, the company was definitely upper crust old
south and to Alice 's horror, the cake in question was presented for
dessert! Alice felt the blood drain from her body when she saw the cake! She started out of her chair to tell the hostess all about it, but before she could get to her feet, the Mayor's wife said, "what a beautiful cake!"

Alice, still stunned, sat back in her chair when she heard the
hostess (who was a prominent church member) say,

"Thank you, I baked it myself.."

Alice smiled and thought to herself, "God is good.

Melvira Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:40pm
post #15 of 43

I've gotten that one before and it just makes me giggle! LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing the perfect joke for the moment!!

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:46pm
post #16 of 43

What I find even more odd is the fact she told you that she told everyone she made the cake!!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:58pm
post #17 of 43

I guess I'm on the other side of the fence, I don't care if people claim my cakes as their own. In fact I have 2 customers who do just that!! I could care less because everytime I raise my prices they keep coming back...they have to, because everyone loves "THEIR" cakes!!! Basically it forces them to continue to order from me for ALL of their functions!! It would be a lot cheaper if they just tell the truth honestly!

One lady needed a cake for a weekend I had a wedding cake order (she wanted an 8" round which I charge $20 for)..I told her I couldn't , I have a wedding cake......she begged and begged and eventually I agreed to give her the cake for $100! THAT was worth losing a little sleep over!!!

There are advantages to the customer claiming your cake as their own lol

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:01pm
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Well, that just bit her in the butt 'cause from now on you should be a cake nazi.."No cake for YOU!"

LOL - that was EXACTLY my first thought!!!

JP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JP Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:08pm
post #19 of 43

It stinks that this person is a liar, but there is really no harm done. Your reputation was neither advanced, nor harmed by her lie. There are some bakers in my area that have small chocolate plaques that have a logo that they put on the cakes. That seems a much more tactful way of getting credit than putting the card under the cake.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:23pm
post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP

It stinks that this person is a liar, but there is really no harm done. Your reputation was neither advanced, nor harmed by her lie. There are some bakers in my area that have small chocolate plaques that have a logo that they put on the cakes. That seems a much more tactful way of getting credit than putting the card under the cake.

Really? Because I think right on top of someone's birthday cake isn't the place to advertise your business. The cake is supposed to be for them, to honor them on their birthday/anniversary/shower, whatever. I think putting your logo on the cake board, perhaps on the back of the cake or even under the board would be a better place to do that. Especially if they rented a cake stand from you. Or just on the box.

beginner1933 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beginner1933 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:42pm
post #21 of 43

This speaks volumes about her character and hopefully she won't need you to speak on that for any reason! The lesson I take from this is to put labels not only on the boxes but inside and on the cake boards for future orders from other customers. How uncomfortable to have to work with her.

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:46pm
post #22 of 43

Even when placing a cake on a grease proof cake board, I put down a circle of parchment. Under that I place my business card. So it's business card down, then parchment, then cake. When the cake gets eaten, my card is revealed. The only exception is wedding cakes.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:47pm
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

I heard about this happening to another person on here. Only she didn't find out about it until her client had been a regular client for a number of years! It started when she bought her first cake from the baker. It was a car cake for her fiance's birthday. He loved it and asked "Did you make this for me?" The bride to be was caught off guard and just said "yeah!". So then after that the client would always pick up the cakes from the baker or ask to meet in weird places to pick up the cake.

Fast forward a few years and the regular client is moving out of state and is freaking out about what to do about "her" cakes now. lol.

That's super funny! icon_lol.gif That's what the lady gets for being a dumb butt!

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:52pm
post #24 of 43

I'm with KHalstead. I wouldn't care if a client claimed one of my cakes as their own. They paid for it, so they can do what they want with it.

Totally off topic, but KHalstead, I'm flabbergasted that you only charge $20 for an 8-inch cake!!!!! WHAT!!!!! Please no offense, but how do you make any money whatsoever at that price?

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:54pm
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

HAHAHAHA I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!

Alexsmommee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alexsmommee Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:07pm
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

One lady needed a cake for a weekend I had a wedding cake order (she wanted an 8" round which I charge $20 for)..I told her I couldn't , I have a wedding cake......she begged and begged and eventually I agreed to give her the cake for $100! THAT was worth losing a little sleep over!!!

Am I totally overcharging?! I charge $40 for a 2 layer 8" round. My supplies alone are running upwards of $10. Then I charge $15/hour for labor; I made over $12/hour in 1998 at a Wal-Mart store as a decorator, so I don't think I am charging too much per hour. If anything, my husband and friends say I charge too little for labor. I would love to charge closer to 25.00/hour, but I just don't think my market would tolerate the prices. My mother says I charge way too much for my cakes. Anywho, after supplies and labor I put a profit margin on top of my product. No way would it be worth my time and effort for $20. Might explain why I don't sell many 8" rounds.
Yes, I do this out of the home so I don't have rent and haven't worked utilities in to my price. Figure they are nearly negligible compared to our household utilities.

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:12pm
post #27 of 43

I charge $25 for a 6 inch round, so I think $20 is rather cheap.

About the small chocolate plaque, Sylvia Weinstock puts her lil glasses logo on all her cakes. I think it's fine as long as you do it tastefully. Of course, you wouldn't make it obvious...kinda like car dealerships putting their logo/info on vehicles you purchase.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:20pm
post #28 of 43

I guess it depends on how much time I'm spending. My cakes are usually pretty detailed so it would be pretty stupid for anyone to claim them as their own, and I wouldn't appreciate it myself....(course it would serve them right if they started getting cake orders and then I'd be too booked to do them haha).

But just a sheet cake or round cake with roses or simple design, I wouldn't care about that. And then when they come to me wondering about my recipe... icon_twisted.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:22pm
post #29 of 43

Wow, guys. I get $36 for a 6" round.

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:28pm
post #30 of 43

I have one of those hand held emboss presses like what notary use and it has all my info on it so I crimp the box a couple times on the flap that tucks inside the box. When the box is opened it shows.

I also add an embossed circle sticker to the bottom of the cake board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%