Unlevel Cake At The Bottom!?!?!

Decorating By Aeropanda Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 10:34pm by cheatize

Aeropanda Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 6

I have had this happen to me a few times, and have had to do some craft work to get my cake level, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. Sometimes, when I turn out my round layers, the bottom of the layer has an angle to it. When I put it on a board, the bottom part, that is supposed to already be level, has one side that doesn't sit flush with the board. I don't know what is causing this. I tried using less baking spray, thinking it was gathering in a small pocket in the corner of the pan, but it has happened numerous times since. If anyone could please shed some light, please let me know your thoughts! Thanks in advance for your response!

5 replies
Cakechick123 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 6

does it happen with a certain pan or is it all of them?

sounds like you have a problem with your pan, maybe its dented?

bmarlow001 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 6

I had that same problem and it endedu p being my oven wasn't level .. I hope you get it fixed!

leily Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 6

the only thing i can think is that your pan isn't level (if the bottom of the cake is really the problem) Otherwise if your cake is domed and you let it cool with the dome down, when you go to flip the cake over, what was the bottom of the pan is going to be curved because gravity pulled it down.

Even if your rack or oven wasn't level the bottom of the cake should still be level, the top would be domed or uneven

Aeropanda Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks so much everyone! I will take all of your advice under consideration, but I'm thinking the bmarlow001 may be right. Gonna get my husband to get out the leveler and check things out!

cheatize Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 6

Stick that level all over the bottom of your pans, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%