Ok, I'm Confused...

Decorating By KayMc Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 7:45pm by bobwonderbuns

KayMc Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 10

I just received the fabulous book called Planet Cake. It's official: I want to quit my job and bake cakes. But, THAT isn't going to happen...

Anyway, I'm confused. The book states that you should use ganache under the fondant, for all the reasons we know: moisture, sharper lines on the fondant, etc. However, there are two pictures of completed cakes in the book where you can see inside the cake where it was cut: both times there is obviously a thick layer of buttercream under the fondant. The one cake even has step by step directions telling you to put ganache on, and then fondant. But the photo of the same cake when cut shows buttercream under the fondant. Any thoughts on this?????

9 replies
Malakin Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 10

I don't have the book or picture but did they whip the ganache to make it thicker instead of pouring it? I just did a cake and when you cut it, the ganache was pretty thick.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 10

Sounds like the editing team slipped up and just used a pic of a bc cake rather than a ganache cake.

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 10

What page is it on? I have the book.

Jenn2179 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 10

Me too. I want to know what page also.

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 10

Well I just went through the entire book and I have no idea what you are looking at. Pages 36-47 go into ganaching, cutting, carving and covering cakes but there are no pix of a finished, cut cake with a buttercream underside. Throughout the rest of the book there are several drawings of cakes that are cut but again nothing to indicate buttercream under fondant. I'm not sure what you are looking at.

KayMc Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 10

If you look on page 112, it looks like a layer of bc under that blue fondant. Also, on page 90, if you look closely, it looks like a layer of bc on the princess cake. I guess it could be a thick layer of white chocolate ganache on this one, but page 112 doesn't look like ganache at all. At least to me.

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:44pm
post #8 of 10

It's ganache on both pages, and you can tell better on page 112 by looking at the "cut" texture -- if it were buttercream that area would be smooth from the cut, but it's not, it's got a texture to it, which is what ganache does when it's cut.

KayMc Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:38pm
post #9 of 10

So, you put ganache on that thick? I'm going to be covering a cake with it for the first time tomorrow, and I had no idea. How thick do you recommend? I thought it was like a think crumb coat.

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:45pm
post #10 of 10

I haven't done a ganache coat yet, but on Sugarshack's topsy turvy video she does it much thinner. I would put enough on not to see the cake underneath but I don't think you need anything near as thick as Planet Cake's version.

Quote by @%username% on %date%