Problems With Icing

Decorating By mustangsally93 Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 12:37am by kakeladi

mustangsally93 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 11

Im having problems with my icing bulging out when I layer and stack cakes. I put very little icing in between them and have even started taking the cake out where the hidden pillars go before I ice it. Any suggestions?
Im also having problems with the icing on my sheet cakes cracking sometimes. Im not sure if my icing is too thin or too thick? I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.
Thanks!

10 replies
Malakin Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 11

With the bulging icing, I just make mine thicker to pipe a dam border around the edges to hold the icing in, and I usually put it on pretty darn thick. As far as the icing cracking, I had this problem with Wilton's recipe and then I just kept trying other recipes till I found one I liked that didn't crack. I use Sugarshack's recipe.

mustangsally93 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 11

Is that recipe on here? I use the Wiltons and love the taste but never even thought of using a different recipe. Does it taste as good?
I see your in Ky. I am as well. I live in Lawrenceburg. Right on the Franklin county line. Are you in this area?

hollyml Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 11

Do you let your cakes "settle" before icing them? If not, that would explain both the bulging and the cracking. It may not be a problem with the frosting you use at all.

The "settling" thing was news to me when I started hanging out here too icon_smile.gif and I haven't had too many problems with NOT doing it because I've mostly done sculpted cakes that aren't filled or stacked. But now I understand why some of my past efforts developed sort of droops or bulges of frosting around the bottom.

After you fill the cake, let it sit overnight, ideally, or at least for a few hours with a weight on top, at room temp. You can do this before or after crumb coating; if you do it before, keep the cake wrapped in plastic. Then do your final icing after the cake has settled.

cakeglitz Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 11

I was having the same problem until I started doing research on this site. I now pipe my dam with very stiff icing...I mean extremely stiff to the point that you can pretty much pick it up and mold it with your hands..you can also crumble up any left over cake and add it to the icing for an even stiffer dam especially if you are wanting to use a lot of filling. You also need to let your cake settle as someone has already mentioned...I place wax papaer on top of my crumb coated cake and then use a ceramic tile on top for a weight and allow it to sit for at least 2-3 hours before I put on my final layer of icing. Hope this helps...it did for me!! icon_smile.gif

mustangsally93 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks! I havent done the settling. I will try that and it does make sense.Thanks for the info!!

mamawrobin Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangsally93

Thanks! I havent done the settling. I will try that and it does make sense.Thanks for the info!!

It's important to allow your cakes to settle but you also need to make a dam for your filling like cakeglitz said. I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe and it's much better than Wilton's. IMO. I do use milk in my icing but it doesn't require refrigeration.

To make a dam for your filling add powdered sugar to some of your icing until you can roll it into a soft ball. A thick dam and allowing your cake to settle BEFORE icing will prevent your cakes from bulging. thumbs_up.gif

mustangsally93 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 11

Awesome! I have a graduation cake this weekend Im doing so I will try all this out!
Thanks!

cheatize Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 11:47pm
post #9 of 11

Also, check the height of your pillars to make sure they're all even.

mamawrobin Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:18am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangsally93

Im also having problems with the icing on my sheet cakes cracking sometimes. Im not sure if my icing is too thin or too thick? I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.
Thanks!

What are you putting your sheet cakes on? It sounds like you may not be supporting your cake properly. If you're using cardboard cake boards you may want to tape 2 or 3 of them together to make a stronger support for your cake.

kakeladi Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:37am
post #11 of 11

.......problems with the icing on my sheet cakes cracking sometimes..........

Yes, as mamawribon said, your board might not be strong enough for the weight of a sheet cake.
Glue 2 of them together before covering them.

Also, it just might be that your icing is too dry. Try adding a tablespoon or two of KaroSyrup or any other liquid to your recipe. Doln't be afraid to experiment a bit. keep record of what you tryed and how it turned out until you are satisified icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%