Anyone Ever Use Splenda??

Baking By Spectra Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 4:53pm by leah_s

Spectra Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 7

I was wondering if I can just easily substitute the sugar in a cake for Splenda and it will work out alright? I want to make the WASC, but the one from scratch, using sugar free pudding mix too, and wondered if it will work? I've never used Splenda before.

6 replies
au_decorator_76 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know how it would work for baking but just as a side note....be careful when doing this because some people are intolerant to Splenda (myself included) so I wouldn't do that for a customer.

catlharper Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 7

I have a friend who swears by this but every single baked item I've had of hers tastes terrible. I think that cakes fall into the category of "I know it's junkfood but I don't eat it every day" food. Make it with the real stuff, with the best you can afford and you will get a great product. Now I can understand if you have a diabetic client and need to use the sugar substitutes...at that point I would ask them what they use in their own lives to make sure I wasn't dealing with any allergic problems.

kaat Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 7

The problem I found was I couldn't cream the butter and "sugar". Splenda is like flakes, not granuales so I never got the right consistency. The cake smelled like cookies and tasted like crap. I will never try using it again. thumbsdown.gif

Spectra Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you for the replies. It is for a friend who is diabetic, can have flour, and can have Splenda. That's why I'm trying to find the best recipe, that tastes good preferably.

Montrealconfections Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 7

Splenda has a VERY distinctive taste which I personally do not like but I know some folks don't mind it you'll have to try it to know if it is an option for you.

leah_s Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 7

I've done this. Another problem is that the cakes bake up sort of biscuit-like. There will be a HUGE dome and it will be a little crumbly, again like a biscuit. I've never tried it on anything larger than a 6" round.

I try to always get the customer to let me put chopped fruit in the cake - pineapple (in natural juice, which I also use for part of the liquid in the cake batter) or chopped up oranges, etc. The fruit helps enhance the flavor and moistness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%