Anyone Ever Use Splenda??

Baking By Spectra Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 4:53pm by leah_s

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 7

I was wondering if I can just easily substitute the sugar in a cake for Splenda and it will work out alright? I want to make the WASC, but the one from scratch, using sugar free pudding mix too, and wondered if it will work? I've never used Splenda before.

6 replies
au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know how it would work for baking but just as a side note....be careful when doing this because some people are intolerant to Splenda (myself included) so I wouldn't do that for a customer.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 7

I have a friend who swears by this but every single baked item I've had of hers tastes terrible. I think that cakes fall into the category of "I know it's junkfood but I don't eat it every day" food. Make it with the real stuff, with the best you can afford and you will get a great product. Now I can understand if you have a diabetic client and need to use the sugar substitutes...at that point I would ask them what they use in their own lives to make sure I wasn't dealing with any allergic problems.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 7

The problem I found was I couldn't cream the butter and "sugar". Splenda is like flakes, not granuales so I never got the right consistency. The cake smelled like cookies and tasted like crap. I will never try using it again. thumbsdown.gif

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you for the replies. It is for a friend who is diabetic, can have flour, and can have Splenda. That's why I'm trying to find the best recipe, that tastes good preferably.

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 7

Splenda has a VERY distinctive taste which I personally do not like but I know some folks don't mind it you'll have to try it to know if it is an option for you.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 7

I've done this. Another problem is that the cakes bake up sort of biscuit-like. There will be a HUGE dome and it will be a little crumbly, again like a biscuit. I've never tried it on anything larger than a 6" round.

I try to always get the customer to let me put chopped fruit in the cake - pineapple (in natural juice, which I also use for part of the liquid in the cake batter) or chopped up oranges, etc. The fruit helps enhance the flavor and moistness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%