Im New What 2 Do?

Decorating By Poptartz Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 4:35am by Poptartz

Poptartz Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 9

Hello I just got hired by the local walmart and i have no experience in baking or cake decorating. I do however have a love and passion for learning and will do my best. I also adore sugar sculping although Ive never tried it I also sketch cake designs. Im just curious as to what Walmart will want me to do.

8 replies
catlharper Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 9

No idea since I've never worked for WM but in whatever baking experience you are in just learn everything you possibly can and ask any and all quesitons of those who have been doing it for a long time. Chances are you will get some great basic training there.

bbmom Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 9

Congrats on the new job.

leily Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 9

what were you hired to do? Decorate cakes? or for soemthing else in the bakery?

I used to work in a couple different ones and have done everything at one time or another. I can help give you an idea of what I did, but need to know what they hired you for icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 9

IF you were hired to "decorate" cakes more than likely you will be doing kit cakes only. That requires piping shell borders, buttercream roses and minimal piping skills. You may also be required to ice the cake but since they use the icer tip and ice frozen cakes it's really easy to do. I'm not sure if all Wal-Marts are the same but the ones here don't do "custom" cakes so you'll be required to look at a photo in a book and recreate it.

If you're not going to be decorating cakes then I have no idea what they will require of you. icon_smile.gif

JGMB Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 9

Welcome to Cake Central, poptartz, and congratulations on your new job!!!

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 9

Walmart is looking for speed and quantity. Not exactly quality. Since they've got the cheapest cakes in town, the demand is going to be very high and you've got to do simple easy and quick cakes to keep up. We stick to designs in the book and just recently they started incorporating only approved color combinations for the case. Meaning rose cakes can only have pink/purple, red/yellow, blue/yellow, yellow/orange, or red/blue color combinations.

Just keep in mind that walmart/sam's club bakeries are not custom bakeries, they are production bakeries. Which means do as much as you can as quickly as you can. Because of this we can't accommodate custom designs. Sure, I know how to draw a princess crown on a cake with little hearts all over the sides or I know how to draw a hand of cards for a vegas themed party, but I can't do that at work because that's not what we do. Those designs would take me well over the 10 minute mark per cake that we have to stick with.

I was in that boat when I first started too. I'd have people ask if I could draw little baseballs on the cupcakes instead of using the plastic baseball pics. I would say yes because I was naive and "decorating was so much fun!" but then I realized I was spending more time on those which was causing the COST of the cake to go up, but the price label on the box was staying the same. Meaning we were losing money on those cupcakes. Live and learn but I really wished someone would have explained that to me when I started.

With grad season upon us, you'll want to be working on cake orders at least a day ahead. I'm trying to get my team up to two days ahead. I work at a Sam's Club, cheapest cake in town, therefore everyone wants it.

I know our expectations on cakes is to spend 10 minutes per cake. Start to finish. Icing a cake should take less than a minute. So work on that and work on your roses too. Our most popular cake design this season is roses with a grad cap. So if you don't have your roses down by now, you will by the end of the summer, if not next week! icon_smile.gif

Most stores are different when it comes to expectations. The store I learned in was encouraging me to experiment with designs and give the customer just what they wanted. But they didn't see the extra stress it was causing me and the money they were losing in the process. Keep in mind, "It's a $20 dollar cake. They'll get what they pay for." So for 20 bucks, they can get the designs that are in the book. The store I work at now realizes this and will back me up when I tell a member that I can't draw little hearts on each piece of your scored cake, I can only do rosebuds.

Yes, it's fun to do cakes you see here, but those are for the custom cake shops, not the grocery store.

LisaMarie86 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 9

Congrats on the new job!!! I need to find one soon!

Poptartz Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:35am
post #9 of 9

thank you icon_biggrin.gif you guy are amazing. I really appreciate the advice. Rose_N_Crantz your a life saver. Hopefully I will begin training at the local
Walmart since the walmart that hired me has not opened yet.

Lis Marie - wish u the best times are hard icon_sad.gif

JGMB - glad 2 b here keep me posted

mamawrobin - ur beautiful luv the pic

leily - im not sure sidenote luv ur signature very true

bbmom - thanx

catlharper - solid advice thanx

Quote by @%username% on %date%