Fondant, Or Something Else?

Decorating By laura4795 Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 7:17pm by cheatize

laura4795 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laura4795 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 11

I'm in love with this cake I found here: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1675871.html

She didn't describe what she used to cover the cake. Do you think it is modeling chocolate or fondant? How is the color of the bow achieved?

Also: I will be serving more people than just a single layer cake will provide. Do you think this design would look good in 2 tiers? Or maybe, just one taller tier? Any ideas?

Thanks!

10 replies
linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 11

Why don't you pm her and tell her you are in awe of this cake and ask your questions, be sure and thank her in advance. Most ccers are happy to help you out.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 11

It looks like chocolate fondant to me. Colors don't always translate well into photos. The bow looks peach but I am guessing she used a beige or light brown. I think this cake would look great in two tiers.

laura4795 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by linedancer

Why don't you pm her and tell her you are in awe of this cake and ask your questions, be sure and thank her in advance. Most ccers are happy to help you out.

Great idea. I just sent her a message!

laura4795 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

It looks like chocolate fondant to me. Colors don't always translate well into photos. The bow looks peach but I am guessing she used a beige or light brown. I think this cake would look great in two tiers.

I'm pretty new to the whole cake thing. I've never heard of chocolate fondant. Is it easy to make, or do most people order it?

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 11

Chocolate fondant is really easy to make. Just add in sifted cocoa powder, about a quarter cup, to the melted marshmallows and then add in the powdered sugar till you get the right dough feel. It smells wonderful and tastes incredible!

laura4795 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Chocolate fondant is really easy to make. Just add in sifted cocoa powder, about a quarter cup, to the melted marshmallows and then add in the powdered sugar till you get the right dough feel. It smells wonderful and tastes incredible!

Really? Does it give that beautiful, deep brown color? That does sound easy!

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 11

There is a chocolate fondant recipe here on CC. Be warned. I reduce the powdered sugar on that recipe by a cup or the fondant is too dry. Satin Ice makes a chocolate fondant. Theirs is so dark that you have to mix it with a little white to get the color on that cake.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:25pm
post #9 of 11

Fondarific makes a deliscious, dark brown chocolate fondant. Tastes like a tootsie roll.

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:50pm
post #10 of 11

I agree with KayMc, Fondarific makes a wonderful chocolate fondant... and if you ever make a really fruity cake they even have watermelon flavor, sour apple flavor and a whole bunch more icon_wink.gif

That cake is beautiful! Good luck!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:17pm
post #11 of 11

Hershey's Dark Chocolate Cocoa will give it that nice dark brown.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%