Modified White Cake Mix

Baking By Mama_Mias_Cakes Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 1:38pm by mamawrobin

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 22

I have a client that wants a white cake mix with heavy decorations on it. I add a box of pudding, an extra egg, and 1/2 cup of oil to my mixes to make a sturdier cake. She wants a white cake though - no almond (I thought about the WASC). I'll omit the pudding and whole eggs since they make the cake yellowish. I use DH brands which asks for a lot less oil and 3 egg whites. Would you add an extra egg white or make the oil 1/3 cup? What do you guys do to make a sturdier white cake? Thanks!!

21 replies
snocilla Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 22

I would use WASC and just use 4 egg whites instead of 3 whole eggs. I use this recipe...

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

foxymomma521 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 22

1 box pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water
1 cup sour cream

crazyladybaker Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 22

I use the same as snocilla posted. I don't use pudding mixes in my cakes because I just haven't had good results...they turn out too wet for me. Others use it fine though.
Omit the almond flavor and use whites only?

I have used the King Arthur white cake from their site. It was really delicious that day but it dried out very quickly and was yuck by the second day.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 22

Thanks!! I am going to give that recipe a try tonight to test it out. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 22

I use kakeladi's "original" WASC recipe. No oil, no pudding, 4 egg whites and clear vanilla. I never use almond flavoring because I can't stand the taste and I'm not crazy about adding pudding either. This is my most requested "white cake".

floral1210 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 22

I also use Kakeladi's WASC, and vary the flavorings to suit my customers. I often leave out the almond flavoring, and just use the butter and vanilla to make the 1T total. I also use the whole eggs even with the white cake, is it doesn't change the color all that much...it doesn't become a yellow cake because of it.

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 22

You mentioned that you use DH mixes.....I read on SugarShack's blog that DH mixes don't work well with the WASC recipe since DH changed the formula. I don't know if that's true for all extender recipes; she specifically mentions the Rebecca Sutterby extender recipe.

mamawrobin Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

You mentioned that you use DH mixes.....I read on SugarShack's blog that DH mixes don't work well with the WASC recipe since DH changed the formula. I don't know if that's true for all extender recipes; she specifically mentions the Rebecca Sutterby extender recipe.

It works best for me with kakeladi's recipe. It also produces about 1 1/3 cups more batter per box than PB or BC mixes. thumbs_up.gif

floral1210 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:59pm
post #10 of 22

I have also found that store brands and Aldi's brand (ie: cheap) are awesome in Kakeladi's recipe. Mamarobin...I never realized that brand affects the batter quantity. I have noticed sometimes that I have more batter than at other times...I always thought it was my measuring of ingredients. Now I am going to do an experiment..thanks for the heads up!

erincc Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:55pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I use kakeladi's "original" WASC recipe. No oil, no pudding, 4 egg whites and clear vanilla. I never use almond flavoring because I can't stand the taste and I'm not crazy about adding pudding either. This is my most requested "white cake".

yep, this. I used to always do scratch white cakes. But kakeladi's WASC is so good, and easy...I'm not going to bother with scratch white cakes anymore!

drakegore Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:07pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

1 box pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water
1 cup sour cream

foxymama,
you don't add the additional flour or sugar in the wasc? i would love not to add that and still get a firmer cake!

diane

neelycharmed Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:14pm
post #13 of 22

thanks for posting this, I could always use a new recipe or two.
icon_smile.gif Jodi

drakegore Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:55pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

Quote:

1 box pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water
1 cup sour cream

foxymama,
you don't add the additional flour or sugar in the wasc? i would love not to add that and still get a firmer cake!

diane

that was actually a question, lol, but the question mark didn't post!
so, no extra flour or sugar?

thanks, diane

vdrsolo Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:41am
post #15 of 22

If you want to stick with doctored DH mix, here you go

DH White Mix
water as called for on pkg
oil as called for on pkg
4 egg whites
white chocolate pudding (lighter in color then vanilla)
flavorings of your choice

foxymomma521 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:02am
post #16 of 22
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1 box pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water
1 cup sour cream

foxymama,

diane

that was actually a question, lol, but the question mark didn't post!
so, no extra flour or sugar?

thanks, diane

Nope icon_smile.gif I just add those ingredients to my cake mix and get yummy results thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:19am
post #17 of 22

I add 6 ounces of melted Baker's white chocolate to kakeladi's "original" WASC recipe and it's absolutely delicious. I don't make any other adjustments to the recipe I only add the melted white chocolate. It has a good texture anyway but the white chocolate really steps it up a notch.

crazyladybaker Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:48am
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I add 6 ounces of melted Baker's white chocolate to kakeladi's "original" WASC recipe and it's absolutely delicious. I don't make any other adjustments to the recipe I only add the melted white chocolate. It has a good texture anyway but the white chocolate really steps it up a notch.

I am going to have to try this! Thanks for sharing icon_wink.gif

maggles Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:20am
post #19 of 22

I use BlakesCakes's enhanced mix recipe, and it always gets RAVE reviews. It's the only white cake recipe I use now, even for wedding cakes.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6948/enhanced-mix-recipe

I always use the 6 eggwhites instead of 4 eggs, though. I always try to use white chocolate or cheesecake flavored pudding mix. And I know the recipe specifies DH mix, but IMO, I get better results when I use Pillsbury brand mix.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:50pm
post #20 of 22

Okay - I made the cake and it was wonderful.

I didn't do the Kakelady's recipe, but will still give that one a try. This is what I did:

1 DH White Cake Mix
1 small box of white chocolate instant pudding
4 large egg whites
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup oil

KayMc Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:23pm
post #21 of 22

Since coming to this messageboard, I have used the WASC with oil. I love the flavor, but it is very heavy and moist. Not a problem, and I have had many compliments on it. Today I decided to try kakeladi's WASC without oil. I just took it out of the oven, and I can't believe the visual difference! It baked much higher took less time to bake. I can't wait to see what the flavor difference will be!

mamawrobin Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:38pm
post #22 of 22

[quote="KayMc" Today I decided to try kakeladi's WASC without oil. I just took it out of the oven, and I can't believe the visual difference! It baked much higher took less time to bake. ![/quote]

thumbs_up.gif Just wait until you cut a slice. The crumb is perfect on this cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%