Responding To Thank You Notes

Business By tootie0809 Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 11:22pm by cylstrial

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 14

I got my first Thank You note from a previous bride the other day. It was very sweet and really made my day. I love hearing back from them and always nice to hear how happy they were. I've gotten several Thank You phone calls or emails, but not an actual note in the mail.

Is it etiquette to respond to the note or just leave it be?

13 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:46pm
post #2 of 14

I'd just leave it be, unless you want to send her an email and ask if you could use her as a reference.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 14

I don't think you have to send a thank you note for a thank you note.

tootie0809 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

I don't think you have to send a thank you note for a thank you note.

True! Now that I think about it that way it seems silly. icon_smile.gif

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 14

Proper to leave it be. Nice that you received a Thank You! icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 14

That's awesome! Maybe you could start a little thank you notebook or something. Put it in a clear sleeve in a three ring binder - and then you could use that to show your brides, etc.

foodguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foodguy Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 14

Just last week I received a note from someone that I had made a wedding cake for 25 years ago! She said that she was going through her wedding pictures, getting ready for their celebration. She saw the pictures of her cake and wondered if she had ever properly thanked me or told me that it was the cake that she had dreamed of her entire life. She said that she remembered seeing it for the first time on her wedding day and crying because it was so beautiful.

What a wonderful surprise to receive that note!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 14

I just sent a thank you note for a thank you note......however, the thank you note included a $50 tip.......so I sent a thank you note back thanking them for allowing me to be a part of their day and thanking them for the extra tip.

If it was JUST a thank you note, without a gift enclosed...I'd leave it be!

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:37pm
post #9 of 14

No need to respond but I would start a book of thank you notes. Im sure you will get more.

Foodguy that is awesome!!! I think that is really really neat.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:48am
post #10 of 14

I usually respond with a quick email...something like this:

Thank you so much for the thoughtful note in the mail ~ it made my day. It was a complete honor to be able to create your special cake and a joy to work with you both. Thank you for giving me the opportunity. I'm so glad that you loved how it turned out.

Congratulations!

May seem silly that it's a Thank you to a Thank you. But, it's so considerate that they take the time to write out a letter...it's worth being acknowledged. And it will only make their day to know how it thrilled you. It also leaves the "relationship" between customer and client open. If you have a connection with them...they will return for anniversarys, baby showers etc.

It's completely your call, everyone does it different. This is just how I do it.

edit to add: Foodguy...that is so cool! The more cakes I do, the more people send me notes that I appreciate...the more I wish I did that for the lady that made my wedding cake 12 years ago. I've thought about sending her a note about it but wondered if I should since so much time has passed. It probably would mean even more now...

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:06pm
post #11 of 14

I save all my thanks yous . . . they give me warm and fuzzies. But if it's a particularly detailed or heart-felt one, I contact the customer and ask them if I can post them under the "testimonials" section of my website.

tootie0809 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 9:29pm
post #12 of 14

CookieMeister, your puppy is absolutely adorable! What a face!!!!

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 9:45pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

That's awesome! Maybe you could start a little thank you notebook or something. Put it in a clear sleeve in a three ring binder - and then you could use that to show your brides, etc.

The DJ we used for our wedding had a section of these in a binder behind the list the 1000's of songs he had. It was unobtrusive, we got to the end of the song list and it was just there for us to look at if we wanted.

If you have actual photos of your cakes - so much is online now - maybe you could put them after that.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 11:22pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmar02

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

The DJ we used for our wedding had a section of these in a binder behind the list the 1000's of songs he had. It was unobtrusive, we got to the end of the song list and it was just there for us to look at if we wanted.

If you have actual photos of your cakes - so much is online now - maybe you could put them after that.

That's a great idea to put the cake pictures first!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%