Basic Question

Decorating By sugaranimal Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 9:57am by Moondance

sugaranimal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaranimal Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 11:39am
post #1 of 7

I am new to cake decorating and am having a problem sugar-pasting sponge cakes. My cakes end up with bulges at the sides. Is this from using too much butter cream? also they nearly always end up lopsided. Is there a more professional way to preparing a sponge cake for covering in sugar-paste? Can anyone help????javascript:emoticon('icon_sad.gif')

6 replies
aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 7

Do you pipe a stiff buttercream dam prior to filling?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 7

sounds like your problem is the filling bulging out. you need to give your cakes time to settle before applying the fondant, and a stiff dam piped round the filling will help too.
xx

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

sounds like your problem is the filling bulging out. you need to give your cakes time to settle before applying the fondant, and a stiff dam piped round the filling will help too.
xx

Ditto thumbs_up.gif

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 7

Make sure that you level the top of your layers. A dome may result with the cake not being level, bulging at the sides and you might have cracking of the layers as well.

sugaranimal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaranimal Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:53am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for all your reply's.
Several of you mentioned a butter-cream dam. Can you explain what exactly this is. I just spread the butter-cream filling between 2 cakes and then coat the whole cake in butter-cream!

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:57am
post #7 of 7

I think they mean that you should use a piping bag and tip to pipe a border around the edge of you cake layer, to prevent the filling leaking out. Here in the UK, we would recommend that the layers aren't overfilled, as this casues bulging - also, we don't put thick layers of crumb coat on as this causes the fondant icing to slip and balloon.

Hope that helps, but one of your USA colleague will be able to fill you in on what's best thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%