Simple Syrup Over Ganache Under Fondant

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 8:22am by sweettreat101

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:39am
post #1 of 11

What can I use for the syrup brushed over ganache to ad hear to the fondant? One video I watched used one part apricot jam to two parts water. Is there anything else I can use?

10 replies
CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 11

Make simple syrup...1 part water, 1 part granulated sugar. Boil until the sugar dissolves, then cool and brush on the ganache.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 11

Wait. Why would you need anything over the ganache to adhere the fondant? Fondant sticks just fine to ganache.

sweettreat101 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 11

The video I watched on Youtube said you needed to brush the cake with a syrup.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

The video I watched on Youtube said you needed to brush the cake with a syrup.

But, you don't. It's overkill.

Simple syrup or thinned apricot jam is usually brushed directly on the BAKED cake, not the ganached/buttercreamed cake. It's a way of moistening a cake that is somewhat dry.

I mean, you can do it, if that's what you want, but it's just extra work.

You should be able to just put on the fondant and the warmth of your hands will cause the ganache surface to soften just enought to get good adhesion. If you're really worried, spritz or brush the tiniest amount of water on the ganached surface before applying the fondant.

HTH
Rae

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 11

Hmm, sorry but I humbly disagree, you do need the syrup or water on this type of ganache to ensure adherence between the fondant and ganache. I've done it before without the syrup and have regretted it, getting air bubbles in the fondant where it has separated from the ganache. This type of ganache (2 parts chocolate:1 part cream) is quite dry when set, it is not the pouring/soft type which is wetter.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 11

Yep, everyone has their own experience.

I've done it the way I described and had no problems whatsoever.

Rae

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 11

I use the 2:1 ratio for my ganache and I also use Planet Cake's method of using simple syrup. thumbs_up.gif

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:13am
post #9 of 11

I use thinned Karo syrup. I didn't want to make a batch of simple syrup, use only a little to brush onto my ganache, and have nothing to do with the rest.

I just pour a small amount of Karo into a bowl, thin it to brushing consistency with water, and brush it on. Works like a champ, and easy-peasy. No cooking involved lol !

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:32am
post #10 of 11

I also use this method when covering a buttercream iced cake. I just wait for it to crust firm before brushing with the simple syrup.

sweettreat101 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:22am
post #11 of 11

Thanks for the info. I would never have thought about brushing on a butter cream cake. I probably wouldn't be fighting with the bubbles.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%