When To Apply Luster And Disco Dust

Decorating By topaz176 Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 1:17am by mom2twogrlz

topaz176 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:31am
post #1 of 8

I am making a 3 tier cake.
The cust. wants alot of bling.
She brought me luster dust and disco dust.

My question is now when to apply this.

After I put the all fondant accents and final touch on the cake and then hand paint it with the dust
or
cover the cake with fondant, hand paint it then add the fondant cut outs.

The reason I am asking this is because I do not want the dust to mess up the rest (white) color.

7 replies
brincess_b Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:41am
post #2 of 8

what is the dust and glitter actually going on?
if its just on the accent pieces, definatly dust the accents before you put them on the cake - those powders get everywhere!
xx

topaz176 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 11:16am
post #3 of 8

she wants alot of bling.
So she gave me three different colors.
so I thinking of putting it on the cake and the accents.
e.g. luster dust silver cake and purple/white accents dusted with disco dust.

BlakesCakes Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 8

Disco dust is finely ground PLASTIC. It is not edible, only non-toxic. It is for decoration only and should be used on things that will be removed from the cake before eating. The non-toxic designation means that it's OK if it comes in contact with something that will be eaten.

The only FDA approved for consumption Luster dusts are Crystal Colors, made by Sugarpaste.com

HTH
Rae

topaz176 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 8

Okay, In that case I will tell the lady to remove all the accents ( deco) of the cake when she's serving.
But My question is still not answered. icon_sad.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 8

cover the cake with fondant, hand paint it then add the fondant cut outs.

Rae

Kaylani Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:52am
post #7 of 8

If I have a cake with a solid color background that I do not want to have luster on it I luster everything before I apply it to the cake. It can be tricky but it is the only way to avoid getting it on the base. If I luster after I apply it does float down onto the base most of the time. Even if it is just a little bit, it would drive me nuts.

As far as Disco dust goes I like it and use it, but DANG it gets everywhere and is hard to clean up. It has a serious 'static cling' effect. I was working on a cake right before I went to a work appointment & when I I looked in the mirror afterwards there was sparkle in my eyebrow. Ugh! They probably thought I had some poor make up skills for a middle aged chick! :O LOL

So, beware the disco dust.....it can get everywhere! But it is "Bling" to the max!

mom2twogrlz Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:17am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Disco dust is finely ground PLASTIC. It is not edible, only non-toxic. It is for decoration only and should be used on things that will be removed from the cake before eating. The non-toxic designation means that it's OK if it comes in contact with something that will be eaten.

The only FDA approved for consumption Luster dusts are Crystal Colors, made by Sugarpaste.com

HTH
Rae

Thank goodness I stumbled across this...I just ordered some and was planning on using for some cupcakes....guess I will have to re-design to fit it in on something that won't be eaten.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%