Lounge By jqorso Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 1:30am by denetteb

jqorso Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 3:53am
post #1 of 6

I want to try making Cannolis (Cannoli?, what's the plural of that?).

Anyway, do the shells have to be round. I don't really want to buy the tube things to bake them. Is there some way around that? Like flat Cannoli crackers that you can just put the filling on? Not sure. Ideas?


5 replies
denetteb Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:01am
post #2 of 6

I haven't made them but someone brought cannoli chips and the filling as dip to a potluck. Instead of rolling and frying on the tube, I assume they rolled it out, cut maybe with a pizza cutter and then fried them like chips. They were about 1 1/2 inch square. And the filling was in another contained and you put your own filling on like a chip and dip.

jqorso Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:06am
post #3 of 6

Brilliant! Thanks!

Kayakado Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 6

I have promised to make a rolled cake with cannoli filling for a friend when she comes to visit. I'm still mulling around ideas but the plan is create the cake based on the canolli dough ingredients.

I bought cannoli forms from Fantes, a set of 4 was only $3. I wanted them for awhile and just waited to tack them onto another order.

My problem is finding the ricotta impastata cheese that you need to make the filling. Regular ricotta has to be drained for 24 hours or combined with cream cheese to simulate the real stuff.

7yyrt Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 6

Can you just make them in a muffin tin? Call them cannoli tarts, or something?

Oh, found these pages -
stacked cannoli -
cannoli sandwich cookies -

denetteb Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:30am
post #6 of 6

Those would be a cool variation also. I would think you wouldn't want to fill them too early or the filling would get the pastry soggy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%