Using Fabric Ribbon

Decorating By LindieLu Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 9:01pm by Zahrah

LindieLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindieLu Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 3:23am
post #1 of 13

I apolgize if this has been answered a million times before but when I do a search and try to back out, i always have to start all over and it's getting late (and i really need to head to bed).

I haven't used real ribbon on a cake before, as i typically use fondant or just border it with buttercream. I am thinking about doing a cake (covered in buttercream) and want to put a fabric ribbon around it. I see that people here do it all the time.. but I was thinking that the grease from the icing would seep through the ribbon.... are there any tricks or tips you can give me to prevent this?? Thanks in advance!

12 replies
Geechigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geechigirl Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:25am
post #2 of 13

I use sheer/organza type ribbon when I use it on buttercream cakes.

bakescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescupcakes Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:49am
post #3 of 13

I cut a strip of grease proof paper the same width as ribbon and place it under the ribbon.

Geechigirl Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:57am
post #4 of 13

What kind of paper is "Grease Proof Paper?"

VNatividad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:01am
post #5 of 13

I've read in different post to add a strip of wax or parchment paper to back of ribbon using double sided tape. Another post said to tape the back of ribbon. Hope that helps.

Geechigirl Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:06am
post #6 of 13

I never thought about the tape thing...thanks

bakescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescupcakes Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:18am
post #7 of 13

Sorry...over here 'grease proof paper' is wax or parchment paper.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:22am
post #8 of 13

I use wax paper. I cut the wax paper the same size as the ribbon and put it on the cake first then cover with the ribbon. It stays in place just fine w/o taping it together. thumbs_up.gif

StandingForJesus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StandingForJesus Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:31am
post #9 of 13

Ive taped wax paper on the back of ribbon several times and it works just fine but its really a hassel to do so. I never knew the wax paper would stay in place without taping it, but will be tickled to give it a try too next time.

LindieLu Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:43pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I use wax paper. I cut the wax paper the same size as the ribbon and put it on the cake first then cover with the ribbon. It stays in place just fine w/o taping it together. thumbs_up.gif

I'm assuming you put the wax paper on the cake before the icing crusts?? i want the icing to crust so i can smooth it with the paint roller so I guess I'm not sure how the wax paper would stick to the cake... maybe add some icing on the bottom just before I put the wax paper on?

Also.. how does the ribbon stick to the wax paper without taping it there? Do you just tape where the 2 ends meet?

Sorry for all the questions.. but if i can avoid a mistake or make things easier for me i'd like to try. icon_biggrin.gif Thanks!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 3:27pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindieLu

Quote:

I'm assuming you put the wax paper on the cake before the icing crusts?? i want the icing to crust so i can smooth it with the paint roller so I guess I'm not sure how the wax paper would stick to the cake... maybe add some icing on the bottom just before I put the wax paper on?

Also.. how does the ribbon stick to the wax paper without taping it there? Do you just tape where the 2 ends meet?

Sorry for all the questions.. but if i can avoid a mistake or make things easier for me i'd like to try. icon_biggrin.gif Thanks!

I don't add my wax paper or ribbon until I'm finished decorating the cake. It has already crusted sure but I've never seen a reason for the wax paper/ribbon to "stick" to the cake. I just put it on and "glue" it together where the ends meet with royal icing and it stays in place just fine. It's also much easier to remove for cutting. I've never stuck my ribbon TO the cake.

LindieLu Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:01pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindieLu

Quote:

I don't add my wax paper or ribbon until I'm finished decorating the cake. It has already crusted sure but I've never seen a reason for the wax paper/ribbon to "stick" to the cake. I just put it on and "glue" it together where the ends meet with royal icing and it stays in place just fine. It's also much easier to remove for cutting. I've never stuck my ribbon TO the cake.

This makes sense to me now! When you said you never used tape, i was trying to figure how in the world did you get the ribbon to stick to each other. I got it now. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:01pm
post #13 of 13

I've used grossgrain as well as satin on grossgrain over crusted buttercrea and haven't had a problem yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%