How Long Do You Bake Your 10" Chocolate Wasc?

Baking By AnnieCahill Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 6:37am by cathyscakes

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:59am
post #1 of 8

I just tried the chocolate WASC (MacsMom/RS version) for the first time this evening. I tried it in my new 10" Magic Line pan. I wanted to know what the typical bake time is for this cake. I baked at 325 but I did not have a flower nail or bake even strips. I wanted to try out the pan as is because I heard that they bake really well. I think the cake took almost 1.5 hours to bake. I could be off on the time though-I kept upping the timer 5 minutes here-10 minutes there.

The cake didn't have a dome in the middle, but it kind of sank (not hard core cave-in or anything, just a slight depression). I did wait an hour before opening the oven door. I am going to try another one tomorrow (doing a 2 layer chocolate bday cake) and I wanted to check and see how long you guys typically bake yours, so I have some idea of what to expect.

Thanks!

7 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:02am
post #2 of 8

i believe if it sank that means your oven was too low. The WASC doesn't rise very well anyway. I always have to bake mine with a flower nail and it takes about an hour for a 10"...it also depends on how much batter you have in the pan.

How do you think it turned out?

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:04am
post #3 of 8

I would definitely use the flower nail and bake even strips for that size pan. It reduces the baking time and makes the cake much more even. I would bake at 325 for 30 minutes, check it and bake in 5 minute increments until it's done.

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:08am
post #4 of 8

i always use flower nails and it seems no matter what size pan i use at 325 mine always take over an hour to bake.. even the 6 inch ones.. but especially the 10 inch

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:10am
post #5 of 8

ALSO does anyone here press down on the pan when it comes out of the oven? I cant tell yet if that makes a different in the wasc recipe, sometimes mine have hairline cracks and then other times there perfect??? should i press a cloth over the top to condense it when its hot or not?? I have heard both?

cup cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cup cakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:32am
post #6 of 8

how and why do u use a flower nail to bake a WASC??? sorry im new to cake decorating snd i have made WASC only once and was not very happy with the results as it was too dense for me. i used DH cake mix. is BC a better one?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:34am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafeela

how and why do u use a flower nail to bake a WASC??? sorry im new to cake decorating snd i have made WASC only once and was not very happy with the results as it was too dense for me. i used DH cake mix. is BC a better one?

u use a flower nail upside down in the pan, flat side in the bottom of the pan. it acts as a core heat conductor and heats the middle of your cake as well as the outside...so you don't burn the outside of the cake icon_smile.gif

WASC is kind-of a dense cake...that is the beauty of it. I only use Pillsbury with that one so I don't know what the other brands are like with this recipe

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 6:37am
post #8 of 8

This happened to me too today. It seemed forever to bake, and then it sunk in the middle. I was so annoyed. I was using duncan hines cake mix, added pudding and sour cream to the mix, and it did this. I never use duncan hines, never usually goes on sale around here, so I use betty crocker or pillsbury and haven't had this problem before, so i'm wondering if it was the mix. I think I will get a oven thermometer and make sure the oven is calibrated correctly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%