I Am Baker Blog Recipes...

Baking By JaeRodriguez Updated 14 Apr 2011 , 5:27am by caymancake

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:04am
post #1 of 19

So I know Amanda is a member here on CC and I LOVE her blog, maybe she will see this and be able to answer my questions but if you have tried her cookie recipe and her royal recipe how do you like the taste? I have never tried a decorated cookie that I like except my MIL's Christmas cookies that are iced with BC, but I'd like to try some cookies in royal! Also, after I flood do you know how long I need to let them dry before decorating and do I need to cover them while they are drying so the cookie doesn't dry out? Thank you for answering, I look forward to learning cookies from some of the best!

18 replies
MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:43am
post #2 of 19

hi! I do quite a bit of decorated sugar cookies, and have dealt with the "dry cookie" issue when using royal icing. This is what works best for me... I roll the cookies to 3/8" thick and underbake them just a little bit. My recipe says to bake at 400 for 10 minutes, so I bake them for 9.
After I flood them with royal, they sit out, uncovered, on racks for 18-24 hours before I put more icing on top or draw on top of the royal.
Sitting out doesn't dry out the cookie, but the royal icing can. That's why I underbake them just a bit.
Hope this helps!

Maria

JaeRodriguez Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:27am
post #3 of 19

Thank you Maria!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 19

Oooh, a baking blog! Can you provide a link? I love reading about baking as much as I love doing it.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 19

You could try a different icing other than royal. What about fondant or glaze? I personally LOVE using glaze to decorate all my cookies. I've been wanting to try fondant, but can't seem to find the time! (Plus, it intimidates me).

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 19

I've been wanting to try fondant, too, but it's so darned expensive for the rolled ready-made, and I'm afraid to make the MMF!
I think I'll just stick with royal for now... it's comfortable!

Maria

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 19

I'm guessing this is it...
http://iammommy.typepad.com/i_am_baker/

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 19

It is a great blog.

JaeRodriguez Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:51am
post #9 of 19

It's the one 7yyrt posted a link to, and she is AMAZING at decorating cookies! But the reason I asked about her royal is because it is a different recipe then regular royal and that's why I was curious if anyone ever made it and tasted it. Gemini does the glaze taste good? I've never had a cookie with glaze! Does it work the same as royal as far as technique? Maria I tried MMF and was traumatized lol, I'm terrified to try it again and I don't want to make something with box Wilton fondant that no one wants to eat, as that's the only fondant available to me. I spotted some Duff fondant and have heard it tastes wonderful but too expensive!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:14am
post #10 of 19

It's a glaze.
Here is the link to what she calls 'my special version of royal icing'.
http://iammommy.typepad.com/i_am_baker/royal-icing/
http://iammommy.typepad.com/i_am_baker/2009/10/sugar-cookie-frosting-recipe.html
1 cup powder sugar (confectioners sugar)
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 drop lemon juice (can be fresh)
This will outline and fill approximately one dozen cookies in one color
--
http://www.joyofbaking.com/RoyalIcing.html
Royal Icing Using Egg Whites:

2 large (60 grams) egg whites
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3 cups (330 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted

JaeRodriguez Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:20am
post #11 of 19

Thank you, I thought it looked more like a glaze, It's very pretty! :]]

manda2177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manda2177 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:22am
post #12 of 19

Um... just have to tell ya... I am totally speechless that there was a topic on cakecentral about my little blog! *humbled*

Thanks for the kind words!!

As far as my icing recipe, (powder sugar, corn syrup, milk) It only needs about 15-20 min. to set up before you can pipe decorations on it. It also depends on your consistency... I tend to prefer a thicker icing so I have more control. (for thicker just use less milk)

Does that answer your question? You can always email me or click the tutorial button on the side on my blog... I do have an icing tutorial there!
http://iammommy.typepad.com/i_am_baker

Thanks so much!
Amanda

JaeRodriguez Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:40am
post #13 of 19

Hey Amanda! I already have the tutorial in my favorites on my computer icon_razz.gif I was just really wondering about the taste of the cookies, I know that the only cookies I've eaten (decorated) were not very tasty but I was wondering how your royal tastes on the cookies? I hope that doesn't offend you, I don't mean for it to, I'm just wondering if it's like fondant, it looks amazing but not so yummy sometimes! I hope that makes sense! I love your blog, I check it WAY too much for updates because I've already backtracked through all the archives! hehe, thank you for sharing your talent with us!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 4:44pm
post #14 of 19

Wow, thank you Amanda, awesome blog!!

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 5:38pm
post #15 of 19

I love your blog too. Just recently discovered it and am hooked.

piechild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
piechild Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 11:33am
post #16 of 19

You all seem like cookie pros...I need some advice. I normally stick to cakes/cupcakes but I have been presented the opportunity to make 3000 cookies for an earth day event. It is just me ( even though my husband says he will help). Is this even possible?

bwendo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwendo Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 4:29am
post #17 of 19

Have just visited the blog too and it is a great resource - there is a lot of time and experience on display.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 5:11am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by piechild

You all seem like cookie pros...I need some advice. I normally stick to cakes/cupcakes but I have been presented the opportunity to make 3000 cookies for an earth day event. It is just me ( even though my husband says he will help). Is this even possible?

If you are baking out of your home....3000 cookies will take you about 20-25 hours just to bake, if you bake 24 at a time....this does not include decoration, preparing the dough, packaging...although some of this could get done while cookies are baking- if you take on this endevor-you better plan on spending an entire 7 day week on the effort....I would have taken on this order, no problem, when I worked in a commercial bakery, but never out of my home kitchen, the gargantuan mess, damage/wear and tear to residential appliances and space constraints, there's just no way...plus I love making cookies, but I know if I had to make three thousand in one foul swoop- I'd probably never want to make another again!

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 5:27am
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by piechild

What kind of cookies? Do they need to be wrapped/packaged?

If they are regular dessert cookies, that will be served on platters etc, then go for it!

If it's decorated sugar cookies, I would say no, unless you have a couple of extra ovens and some kitchen helpers! Personally I find decorated sugar cookies very time intensive, so if you can do a practice batch, see how long it takes for you to bake them and decorate them then multiply that by however many batches you would need to do to get 3000...then you have a better idea of how workable the idea is.

Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%