Overwhelmed With Son's Cake Request

Decorating By cakesbyblondie Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 5:17pm by paulina69

cakesbyblondie Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:42am
post #1 of 7

My son has asked for a Marshall guitar amp cake...just a couple of squares to sculpt...but he wants chocolate cake...I need some help with what cake recipe to use...it will be stacked pretty high....assume it should be a pound cake???

6 replies
amysue99 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:53am
post #2 of 7

If you don't mind using a doctored mix, the WASC choc variation is very good, and great for stacking.

cakeheart Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 7

Here is a recipe I have used and it is pretty dense if you dont want to go the pound cake route...I would store it in the fridge overnight wrapped in saran so it is nice and firm when you carve it icon_smile.gif

Dense Chocolate Cake

This cake is very moist and extremely easy to make.
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
6 tablespoons cocoa
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup margarine
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup boiling water or coffee
2 teaspoons vanilla

15-18 servings
45 minutes 5 mins prep

1. Measure all ingredients into mixing bowl.
2. Blend with electric mixer, beginning on low setting, and increasing speed until batter is of smooth consistency.
3. Pour into greased and floured cake pan (s) (1 9x13 or 3 small layer).
4. Bake at 350 degrees until toothpick tests clean.
5. Frost with your favorite frosting when cool

cakesbyblondie Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:02am
post #4 of 7

Thanks so much for the recipe and comments...I tried the WASC cake tonight and my hubby loved it...it might just work....I KNOW that I am over thinking this...its my son's 18th birthday : )

SOMETIMES BEING A PERFECTIONIST IS EXHAUSTING!!!!!

tinygoose Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:08am
post #5 of 7

He'll love it just because YOU made it, not because you made it perfect.

nwnest Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:25am
post #6 of 7

I'll trade you. . . . My son is turning 17 in a couple weeks. He likes historical video games and has requested a cake shaped like a Greek temple. I'd tell him to choose again, but he says that he doesn't want any gifts, only the cake.

paulina69 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 7

That's what moms do best! Your love will show once your cakes are done...I'm sure your kids will love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%