Sps And 4 Inches, I Have 5?

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 1:40pm by leah_s

shannycakers Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 9

SPS question gang,

I use sps and havent had issues but i have noticed i am always way above 4 inches on my cakes after baking and icing and fondant, more like 5..could that cause my cakes to not be level or unstable? I did notice on my last cake that it kinda sunk in a tad on the base, but i just thot it was my imagination..most poeple comment on here about not getting to 4 inches but i am the opposite..do i need to worry?

Should i cut the cake before decor to 4 inches exactly? or does it matter

8 replies
vdrsolo Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 9

Just buy the multipiece legs...they are 5", plus (2) 2" pieces.

Or level it off more, I level each layer to about 1 13/16" , once I fill and ice and let the cake settle, the cake itself is just a hair under 4" but then I ice it to be about 4 1/8" so the plate will settle into the icing some.

hsmomma Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 9

I always order the 9" columns and then use my hacksaw on the scored areas to cut them down to the exact height I need for my cake. My cakes are the same, rarely are they only 4" in height. Much closer to 5". I just like them that way (personal preference). This way I can adjust to the height of my tiers and not have to cut away so much cake.

leah_s Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:39am
post #4 of 9

As vdr noted, SPS comes pre-cut in 5" legs. If your cakes are always 5" tall, then just order those. EASY.

Karen421 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:02am
post #5 of 9

I just tried to order the 5" but couldn't find them. The 9" work and the notches make them easy to cut all the same size.

shannycakers Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:06am
post #6 of 9

yes can you tell me where you buy the 5 inch ones? thanks so much!

Karen421 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 11:48am
post #7 of 9

I would like to know also! Please

crazyladybaker Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:16pm
post #8 of 9

wonder if this is how you get the 5"

WHITEMulti Piece Column 9 inch
consist of 5" Grecian scored section, two 2" extension pieces and collar.
4 columns are required per plate set-up

leah_s Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:40pm
post #9 of 9

The 5" legs, as noted and explained above, the 5" legs come in the multi-piece set. Buy that set and you will receive a dozen 5" legs and two dozen 2" extensions. Throw out the extensions and use the 5" legs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%