Isomalt Food Coloring

Sugar Work By brian1974 Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 1:53pm by dchockeyguy

brian1974 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 4

Bought some isomalt and want to color it.
I usually use americolor product line.
Does the isomalt use a particular type of coloring ? ie powder/paste/oil

thanks

Brian

3 replies
jqorso Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 4

Gel colors work just fine for sugar, so I can't imagine isomalt would be much different. It might depend on when you want to color it too. I've only ever made a big batch of plain then colored smaller bits for what ever i was doing.

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqorso

Gel colors work just fine for sugar, so I can't imagine would be much different. It might depend on when you want to color it too. I've only ever made a big batch of plain then colored smaller bits for what ever i was doing.

Yep, me, too.

You can color the isomalt while it's liquid & hot, but I only do this if I want the item to be clear, but colored--like a body of water. Put the color in at the end of the boiling process and very gently stir.

I generally make batches of clear isomalt and then when I heat it up to pull it, I dab on a bit of whatever color I want. It gets kneaded in as you're getting the isomalt ready to blow or pull.

Rae

dchockeyguy Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 4

you can also use things like petal dust mixed with some water to color your isomalt as well. That's usually what I do, because i"m more sure I'll get hte color I want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%