Sams? Betercream? Buttercreme? Help!

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 10:53pm by kellikrause

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone!

I thought I had it straight...but now I'm confused!

I stopped into my local Sam's Club this morning to see about buying the famous Rich's Betercreme..I wanted to give it a try on a couple cakes next week.

But i get there and they tell me they have "Butercreme" and a "whipped topping"

Are either of these like the famed Rich's Bettercreme?

or if you guys are familiar with the Sam's products, could you give me a run down of the uses for each? I want something that doesn't necessarily need refrigeration for those cakes that need to sit for extended periods of time. And something that can handle flavor/ recipe additions to make tasty frostings/ fillings.

Thanks so much!

8 replies
chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 9

The whipped topping IS Rich's Bettercreme. They sell it in BIG pre-whipped containers- Make sure you have buttload of freezer space available!! You don't need to refrigerate the cake, though, after you've iced it.

Oh, and the buttercream is just that... Kind of. There's no butter in it, but it's a shortening based powdered sugar icing. Definitely shelf stable, so you don't need to refrigerate it before or after icing the cake.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 9

Rich's Bettercreme is a whipped topping. Normally you would whip it up yourself, however I have heard that at Sam's you can buy it already whipped. I don't shop at Sam's so can't help with that.

The Bettercreme has a sweeter taste to me than that of Pastry Pride but also not as dense as buttercream.

Hope this helps

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 9

The Sam's "But-R-Creme spread n' fill" is a sweet all purpose buttercream frosting, can stay at room temp in an airtight container (the bucket) for up to 6 months. The "whipped icing" that Sam's carries in the bakery IS Rich's Bettercreme....however, you will need to freeze it in smaller containers (unless you have a deep freezer that can house the big bucket), it's fine at room temp. for up to 5 days on a cake, good for up to 2 weeks in the fridge and a year in the freezer.

If you have a GFS store near you, they sell the Rich's bettercreme in quart sized containers in the liquid form ( I prefer this) and you can just pop those in the freezer and they take up almost NO room at all, they have the same shelf life as the already whipped, but you can do so much more with it AND control how "whipped" it gets. The stuff that's already prewhipped you can't control how stiff it is, and often times it's overwhipped and full of air bubbles, not good when you try to make a perfectly smooth wedding cake!

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 9

Okie! thanks for clearing that up!!!
I have a standard Side by Side ridge/freezer.... and if need be i can put the extra in different containers to make it all fit... can you tell me what are the dimensions of the Bettercreme container when purchased from Sams?

Thanks again!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 9

The Bettercreme comes in a bucket slightly smaller than a 5 gallon bucket.

So in your case I would probably go for the unwhipped variety.

And are you telling me the employees in the bakery didn't even know their whipped topping was from Rich's and called Bettercreme? Good grief. It says it right on the bucket!!!!

mmlj316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmlj316 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 9

Is Riches like buttercream we make? Can it be smoothed with viva? Or is it a noncrusting icing?

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 9:12pm
post #8 of 9

It's non crusting. But if it's whipped right (or straight from the bucket if you get it Sam's) it should be very smooth. Just keep it chilled to work with it. If it gets warm it gets "dry and airy". If that doesn't make sense, leave a bit out in a bowl for a couple hours then check it out. You'll know what I mean. You might notice it gets sticky too.

kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 10:53pm
post #9 of 9

I use Bettercreme and love it! I have only used the stuff I have to whip myself so I can control how stiff it is and what I put into it to make fillings. It is awesome and doesn't need to be refridgerated so once you fill and ice you don't have to worry about shoving it in your fridge. I won't crust so I don't use it for icing, just filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%