Need Help With Recipes :(

Baking By nastassia Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 7:43pm by auntginn

nastassia Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 5

I'm trying to find a yummy recipe but for a diabetic...

I love the idea of the Hawaii five-O or the citrus twist, but how do I make it ok for a diabetic?

is the banana cake supposed to be healthier?

help! icon_sad.gif I also want this to be yummy and not a plain cake icon_sad.gif

4 replies
auntginn Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 5

When I am baking a cake for my diabetic mother, I start with the basic cake recipe using Splenda, then depending on the flavor I want I look for something that is sugar free. ie... cocoa powder to make chocolate, coffee for mocha, sugar free gello for fruit flavos. I use Pastry Pride to ice the cake, not buttercream.

For fillings I use the sugar free preserves and mix with the Pastry Pride. She has a number of friends with health issues and they seem to enjoy the things I make.

Hope this helped

auntginn Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 5

Oh Sorry I forgot to mention, that I also use sugar free applesauce to keep it moist.

nastassia Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 5

ok only problem is I think we don't carry pastry pride here in NM? b/c I tried asking for it at grocery stores too icon_sad.gif

auntginn Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 5

Pastry Pride is a whipped topping, it comes frozen. You thaw and whip. Do you have a Smart and Final store? They carry it there. If that brand is not available you can look for and try Rich's Bettercreme. Same thing.

Most of these items are not carried in super markets. Sam's Clubs that have a bakery dept carries them unwhipped and already whipped. Do you have either store available?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%