Help With Stacking Book Cake!!! Asap!!!

Decorating By elisa2801 Updated 8 Jun 2010 , 10:40pm by elisa2801

elisa2801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elisa2801 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 11

I know how to cover the book cake. I just don't know how to stack them.. I want to stack a total of three cakes. I need to have this cake by Sat 6/12. I want the books to be stacked slighty off each other look. I did see a couple of threads here but were for one book only. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 11

Have you ever stacked a cake at all in any shape?

Because there's no difference, just because these are shaped like books.

Supports in the bottom, cakes on boards. Pitch 'em on top of one another.

Ok stack carefully, don't pitch 'em.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 11

Make sure your supports are short enough so that when the cake settles they don't come out of the top of the cake.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by awatterson

Make sure your supports are short enough so that when the cake settles they don't come out of the top of the cake.

Sorry, but I have a hard time with this advice. Dowels should be cut only after the cakes have "settled".

The cakes should be allowed to settle a bit before putting on the fondant and should also sit awhile before final stacking. Since there are no supports in the top cake, there is never any chance for dowels to poke thru the very top cake.

As for cutting dowels--whatever type, they should always be very close to even with the top of the icing, even a hair above is much better than a hair below. Supports that are down in the cake mean that the cake above is pushing down on the icing/cake. If the support is above the icing and cake, then ONLY the supports are taking on the stress of what's above.

I find the high spot in the cake and I cut one dowel measured there, using it as the template for all of the others. The dowels need to be level (I use a mini level for checking this).

HTH
Rae

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks Blakescakes. I have never heard that before.

elisa2801 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you all. Yes I have stacked cakes before. So does that mean I would leave my 2nd(book) cake board slightly longer than the cake..so I have enough space for the bottom(back) cover? Or am I suppose to wrap entire book then place on cake board then set on top of first book?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:03pm
post #7 of 11

I can't imagine how you'd pick up a fondant wrapped cake and *then* place it on the board.

Yes, just like any other cake, you place the cake on the cardboard, fondant to or slightly over the edge and stack.

Honestly, this isn't any different than any other fondant stacked cake.

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisa2801

Thank you all. Yes I have stacked cakes before. So does that mean I would leave my 2nd(book) cake board slightly longer than the cake..so I have enough space for the bottom(back) cover? Or am I suppose to wrap entire book then place on cake board then set on top of first book?

When I do books, I cut my cake board a little larger so that I can "wrap" the edge so that it looks like the back cover. I use a veining tool to make the top spine.

If the offset of the books is extreme, and the underside of the board will be seen, you can cut pieces of fondant and fit them in after the cakes are stacked.

Just make sure that your dowels are placed so that the book above sits on them.

HTH
Rae
LL

elisa2801 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks Leah_s, I had a feeling that's how it was done... I just wanted to be sure. I know my questions might of sounded silly to you. Plus I got a little confused when I read on other forums that no cake board was used in between stacked books... But I guess that explained why they looked droopy.
Will MMF be ok to use? I normaly use Fondx

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:25pm
post #10 of 11

"..no cake board was used in between stacked books."--wow, that is bad advice, unless you're only making skinny small books...............

Yes, you've got to have boards under each cake-book or otherwise--and especially for a crisp, bound book look.

MMF should be fine. Any fondant should be OK.

Rae

elisa2801 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:40pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you Rae, for the great tips ;o) Love your book cake. Thank you Leah_s.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%