Would This Cream-Cheese Icing Be Good For Decorating?

Decorating By Spectra Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 4:40pm by Spectra

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 8

It's for a friend who's diabetic and wanted a cake that has basket-weave and a rope border, pretty simple, but wasn't sure how well this would hold up. Here is the recipe:

1 pint Whipping Cream
1 box Sugar Free Pudding
16 ounces Cream Cheese
3 TBSP Splenda

Thanks for any advice!

7 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 8

Curious recipe. The basket weave on the sides may slide off, but then again if everything is kept really cold, maybe not. Borders should be fine, but again keep that puppy cold as there is minimal/no structure.

Spectra Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 8

Hmm, yeah, that's what I'm worried about. Perhaps I should find a different recipe.

HoneyBunns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HoneyBunns Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 8

You might try adding meringue powder to give it a bit of help to be a bit better for decorating. You might try a small batch and add it a little at a time to see if it makes a difference. I don't think a diabetic diet would have an issue with that.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 8

i recommend the crusting cream cheese icing recipe here on CC, great for decorating and great cream cheese flavor.

Spectra Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:29pm
post #6 of 8

Oh thank you! I just realized I was doing the search all wrong. I kept typing it in under one word and barely any recipes came up. Got it now! Though I want to use Splenda, and I think you can make Splenda icing sugar using corn starch all blended fine, but we'll see!! lol

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 8

I have tried several times using cream cheese icing (two diff recipes - crusting & non crusting) and everytime the icing has tasted wonderful, but the icing itself is VERY heavy and everytime I have had problems with the top edge boarder wanting to slide down the side or the weight of it pushing the side icing down. I end up icing, scraping & re-icing everytime.
Ugh. I cringe everytime someone asked for cream cheese icing.
Be caareful.

Spectra Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 8

Ugh, don't tell me that! icon_wink.gif

I wanted to do a rope border on top, but that will definitely be heavy! Perhaps if I use a smaller tip and push it in from the edge by 1/2 inch or something. Or something.... hmm.... or different border? Oh dear, I got some thinking to do! Thanks for the info! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%