Crusting Buttercream?

Decorating By Grandma3 Updated 8 Jun 2010 , 4:15pm by TexasSugar

Grandma3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Grandma3 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 7

What is meant by the term "crusting buttercream"? Is Sam's Buttercream considered a crusting type?

6 replies
Frotusbush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frotusbush Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 7

That term refers to buttercream icing that will form a crust after some time. I don`t know about Sam`s buttercream, but most icings that are considered crusting have meringue powder in them.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frotusbush

That term refers to buttercream icing that will form a crust after some time. I don`t know about Sam`s buttercream, but most icings that are considered crusting have meringue powder in them.

The "crusting" is caused by the sugar to fat ratio. I use the 2:1 ratio but some say that the 1:1 sugar to fat ratio works for them. I NEVER use meringue powder in my crusting buttercream. The meringue powder isn't a necessary ingredient as it's the sugar/fat ratio that causes the "crusting". In my opinion meringue powder leaves an aftertaste and since it isn't really needed I never use it.

I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe and it doesn't call for meringue powder.
I know that some recipes for crusting bc do but I'm not sure about "most".

Monirr04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monirr04 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

The "crusting" is caused by the sugar to fat ratio. I use the 2:1 ratio but some say that the 1:1 fat to sugar ratio works for them. I NEVER use meringue powder in my crusting buttercream. The meringue powder isn't a necessary ingredient as it's the sugar/fat ratio that causes the "crusting".

Mamawrobin - I have read in a few topics where you comment how you do not use meringue powder in your buttercream. What do you use instead? Would you be willing to share your bc recipe? I am very interested in learning the recipe you use.
Thanks!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monirr04

Mamawrobin - I have read in a few topics where you comment how you do not use meringue powder in your buttercream. What do you use instead? Would you be willing to share your bc recipe? I am very interested in learning the recipe you use.
Thanks![/quote]

I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe. You can find it here on cc in the "most saved" recipes. I don't use anything to replace meringue powder in a recipe I just simply omit it. thumbs_up.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monirr04

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

The "crusting" is caused by the sugar to fat ratio. I use the 2:1 ratio but some say that the 1:1 fat to sugar ratio works for them. I NEVER use meringue powder in my crusting buttercream. The meringue powder isn't a necessary ingredient as it's the sugar/fat ratio that causes the "crusting".

Thanks!

It's not anything that really needs to be replaced. I don't use it either.

Here's a quick search of buttercream recipes, some are american and others are italian
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/?s=buttercream

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 7

Crusting buttercreams are typically ones that are made with powder sugar and crisco/butter. There are some powder sugar versions that will not crust.

Non crusting buttercreams are one that are cooked egg like IMBC and SMBC, which use egg whites, granulated sugar and butter.

I want to say I read that Sam's BC does crust. Maybe someone else can tell you for sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%