? About Rum

Decorating By yummy Updated 12 Jun 2010 , 6:38am by tesso

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 7

Can clear rum be used instead of vodka, lemon extract and everclear when painting dust? I don't have any dust right now, so I can't experiment yet. I'm going out to buy supplies in a few hours, need to know if I should buy vodka while I'm out.

6 replies
regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 7

The alcohol content is what matters, so any thing with a decent alcohol content will work. That said, I prefer extracts because they have both an alcohol and oil component. The end result with an extract is that you get less streaking for a smoother looking finish.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you for the fast response; I just never hear anyone here mention clear rum for this.

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 7

You are welcome. Happy painting!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by regymusic

The alcohol content is what matters, so any thing with a decent alcohol content will work. That said, I prefer extracts because they have both an alcohol and oil component. The end result with an extract is that you get less streaking for a smoother looking finish.

I agree. Lemon extract is about 165 proof. I use it when there is no the issue of smell (it can linger) interfering, for example, I don't like to use it on something chocolate, but that's probably just me.

When I don't use lemon extract, I use Everclear--the highest "proof" clear liquid I can buy.

White rum would be my last choice because it is also very high in sugar content and the sugar can crystalize in the "paint", making it grainy.

Rae

Emmerdoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmerdoo Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 6:34am
post #6 of 7

Add me into the group that uses lemon extract or Everclear. In a pinch, I might use rum, but like Blake's Cakes said, rum has a lot of sugar in it. Great for the batter and a good dousing of the cake - not so good for painting.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 6:38am
post #7 of 7

everclear if you can buy it in your state.

to the extract users: I tried the lemon extract and it made my fondant gooey.. what did I do wrong? after that happened i just went back to my everclear.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%