Sticking Fondant Etc. To Cake Surfaces

Decorating By StephsCakes72 Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 11:24am by StephsCakes72

StephsCakes72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephsCakes72 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 14

Hello all,

I was wondering if there is a another way to "glue" fondant and other decorations to cakes other than using buttercream. Is there something clear? I'm pretty new to cake decorating. When I use buttercream, it shows through the sides and seems a little messy.

Thanks in advance for your help. icon_smile.gif

13 replies
CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 14

Hi Missymaam,

If you're wanting to stick fondant to fondant, water usually works using a small brush - or you could try sugar glue or even egg white.
Other CCers might be able to help you some more...

HTH?!

Cheers!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 14

I just brush the back of the fondant pieces w/ water......whether I'm using them on a cake iced w/ bc or fondant! Works perfectly!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missymaam

Hello all,

I was wondering if there is a another way to "glue" fondant and other decorations to cakes other than using buttercream. Is there something clear? I'm pretty new to cake decorating. When I use buttercream, it shows through the sides and seems a little messy.

Thanks in advance for your help. icon_smile.gif

Hi Missy;

Are you try to do fondant to fondant? I agree plain water or egg white works great.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 14

Yep, I use plain water. Works great!

StephsCakes72 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 14

Thank you all so much! When I went to my cake supplier, they said I could only use buttercream. I knew you all would help me out! icon_smile.gif

cakeglitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeglitz Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 14

I use piping gel instead of water. It works great!! I have had issues in the past especially with dark colored fondant running when using water if I get too much on the fondant.

StephsCakes72 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 14

Great, thank you. I will pick some up the next time I go to the store.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 14

I use a little paint brush and water. You don't want to use too much water, just enough to make the fondant "tacky" so that it will stick.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:14pm
post #10 of 14

Normally just water, but sometimes a little edible glue depending what I am attaching. If I think I will have to adjust the piece I am putting on, such as lettering, I will use crisco which allows me to adjust the piece I am putting on without worrying about colors bleeding if I have to move the fondeant a good amount.

StephsCakes72 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 6:49pm
post #11 of 14

Thank you. I'll be sure to be careful not to use too much water. To Mayo2222-is edible glue something I can purchase?

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 5:07pm
post #12 of 14

Edible glue is pretty easy to make...just take a 1/4 tsp of tylose/gum tex/ect and mix it with 2 Tbsp of water. Warm water may help the tylose disolve faster.

You can then store the left overs in the refrigerator to use in the future.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 5:57pm
post #13 of 14

I keep all my gumpaste that has harden, then when I need some glue, I just drop some in warm water, and I have edible glue!

StephsCakes72 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:24am
post #14 of 14

OK, great! These are all so much better than the buttercream showing off the sides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%