Whipped Less Sweet Frosting???

Baking By CandyLady Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 11:53am by CandyLady

CandyLady Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:45am
post #1 of 7

HAVE A CLIENT THAT REQUESTED A WHIPPED LESS SWEET FROSTING...I have only used my standard buttercream...it is for a graduation party and it will be 88 this weekend in Ohio. Anyone have any good recipes that would adapt. I have used Indydebi's but I still think they may find that too sweet? HELP!

6 replies
skmokis Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:24pm
post #2 of 7

Does it need to be crusting or non crusting buttercream. I just did a cake a 3 tier sweet 16 and used the following recipe under MMF and it was awesome. Not to sweet and not bland. Was nice, fluffy, and light and a dream to ice the cakes with. The clients called me the next day and wanted the recipe. I know when you read the recipe it will seem like a lot but it is very simple to make. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that when finished it only made about 4 cups, So I had to make another (double) batch. Doubling the recipe did just fine, and all was done in my kitchen aid. Let me know how it goes and if you like it. Just a quick tip as well, add the butter as the recipe states, but when half the butter is added I turned my mixer on high and continued adding the butter at about a TBSP at a time. Doing this I didn't have any problems with curdling.

For the Mousseline Buttercream
2 c. unsalted butter
1 c. extra fine sugar
1/4 c. water
5 lg. egg whites
1/2 + 1/8 tsp. cream of tartar

To make the buttercream, in the bowl of a mixer, beat the butter until creamy and scrape out into another bowl to set in a cool place. Wash mixing bowl to remove all fat.

In a heavy saucepan, heat 3/4 c. sugar and the water, stirring until the sugar dissolves and the syrup begins to bubble. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting or, if using an electric cooktop, remove from the heat.

In the clean mixing bowl beat the egg whites until foamy, then add the cream of tartar. Beat until soft peaks form, then gradually beat in the remaining 1/4 c. sugar until peaks are stiff.

Return to the syrup and turn up the heat. Boil until a thermometer reads 248 degrees F and immediately pour the mixture into a heat proof measuring glass to stop the cooking.

With the mixer on high, pour a small amount of the syrup into the meringue at a time, mixing about 5 seconds before adding more. Be careful not to pour the syrup against the beater or it will harden on the beater and sides of the bowl. Scrape remaining syrup from the glass measure into the meringue and continue beating on medium for at least 5 minutes or until it is completely cool to the touch.

Now add the butter 1 T at a time, beating between additions until incorporated. If the mixture begins to curdle, stop adding the butter, turn the mixer to high and beat until it smooths out again before resuming adding butter.

CandyLady Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 7

so this is like a italian meringue...I am worried about it sitting out...not sure if they will have outside or inside for graduation party...expecting 88 this weekend. What do you think?

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 7

You can try the Whipped Cream Buttercream recipe in the recipe section here. It's very good, a lot less sweet than Indydebi's buttercream.

I don't know how it holds up in heat though.

Also, recently I made a large amount of Indydebi's recipe. Had a ton left over, but it was to sweet for me. I made part 2 of the Whipped Cream Buttercream recipe and mixed that with Indydebi's. It was great.

CandyLady Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 7

I love everyone's input...I personally like sweet but everyone has their own taste and I try to please. Thanks a bunch.

skmokis Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 7

I was also very worried about the heat factor so I actually made a practice cake. The temp here was in the mid 80's plus our air conditioning has been turned on yet. I was also baking cakes all day so it was quite warm in my house. The buttercream held up great under the fondant no melting or flattening at all. I did some research about mousseline buttercream and everyone says it's the one to use in heat. Plus you don't have to worry about the high ratio or non transfat problem.

CandyLady Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:53am
post #7 of 7

I went out on a limb Barbaranne and tried the recipe you suggested...it is light and fluffy but seems a little soft. Hopefully it will do ok on borders and hold up this weekend. I will have to tell them to keep it in the house.

Quote by @%username% on %date%