Flat Top Cupcakes

Baking By Cakey0 Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 2:58am by Cakey0

Cakey0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey0 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:32am
post #1 of 9

Hi,

I was hoping someone could answer this question. I have made heaps of cupcakes previously but all with a dome height.

does anybody know how i can get a flat top cupcake. I need to cover with ganash and then fondant this weekend, then put some decorations on top of that, but really want a flat top and just cant figure out how to get it. Thanks in advance. Any help would be great.

thanks

8 replies
Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:49am
post #2 of 9

Not sure...but hope this "bump" helps.

I would like to know as well.

Cakey0 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:08pm
post #3 of 9
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:10pm
post #4 of 9

this measurement is in celcius, but Im sure you will be able to convert it, if I do domed cc's then I bake them at 180deg, if I want flat tops I bake at 150deg. I have a fan assisted oven, so you might have to play around for a bit to find your right temps.
HTH

Cakey0 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:15pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakechick123

this measurement is in celcius, but Im sure you will be able to convert it, if I do domed cc's then I bake them at 180deg, if I want flat tops I bake at 150deg. I have a fan assisted oven, so you might have to play around for a bit to find your right temps.
HTH

Thank you so much for your help, i will have to do a test run until i get it right, i have a fan forced oven too..

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:32pm
post #6 of 9

If you look at some of the other pics on that site you will see that those cupcakes are not feeling the cup at all. There is a small cupcake, a layer icing, and then the fondant. So, even if the cupcake has a dome, the icing is flat.

Here's a pic:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4121594&id=326709268655#!/photo.php?pid=3867002&id=326709268655&fbid=394245888655

HTH!!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 9

If I want domed cupcakes, I fill the tins 2/3 full. If I want flat tops, I fill 1/2 full. One thing that I've noticed is that if I substitute the milk or water for fruit juice, the fruit juice ones are always flat no matter how full the tins are.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

If I want domed cupcakes, I fill the tins 2/3 full. If I want flat tops, I fill 1/2 full. One thing that I've noticed is that if I substitute the milk or water for fruit juice, the fruit juice ones are always flat no matter how full the tins are.

Substituting juice means you are taking our necessary fat that helps the cupcake rise. So this is an option.

I just wanted to add a comment about the photo posted from FB. Cute cupcakes! They are filled half way so they may not have domed. But given that if they did dome it didn't come up past the liner, you may not know it. You can fill in the frosting around the dome and still have a flat top to decorate. Seeing one cut in half would be cool.

I like the look of the fondant on these photos, I'm going to save that idea to try sometime. thumbs_up.gif

Cakey0 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:58am
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone for your great advise. I didnt even think to keep searching through the photos LOl.. Will try and fill them half way tomorrow and see how i go

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%