Help Please

Decorating By jess4037 Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 2:06pm by jess4037

jess4037 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess4037 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:33am
post #1 of 6

OK so my grandparents 60th wedding anniversary is coming up in September and I have offered to do a cake!! The last one I did for them was a disaster and i don't want this one to turn out that way. We are doing a Texas theme and I really want to do Bluebonnets and Yellow roses. The roses I can do but I need some advice on the bluebonnets. I know it's way far in advance, but I want to get started now. anyone with advice? TIA

Jess

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 6

What was wrong with the first cake that you did? Was it the cake itself or how it was decorated?

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 6

Blue bonnets will be very hard. try to find out if someone does lupines and has a tutorial on it.

can you get ahold of some blue bonnets? or you could try painting them on. I have lots of painted bluebonnet items and they look real good.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 6

Wow, the first one was a disaster and they are allowing you to do another one for them? Wow...they must love you! LOL Just kidding, of course they do.

To avoid another disaster, my advice...practice, practice, practice first. Especially if its something you've never done, or ever done successfully.
And as a bonus, you can keep the ones that turn out good and use them for the cake later on. Also, give yourself plenty of time. Flowers always take longer than you plan.

Good Luck!

jess4037 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 6

Ummm I was young and dumb for the first one. It was 3 tiered single layer with no buttercream and Willton fondant!!! It was nasty. This time I know what I'm doing sort of.
I have 3 full months to get the flowers done. So i'm hoping that is enough time and that they will last. Thanks for the advice everyone.

jess4037 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:06pm
post #6 of 6

I just posted a picture of my first try at the bluebonnets!!!! The color is a little off but not bad if I do say so myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%