Anybody Had Thier Cookie Recipe Turn On Them?

Baking By Dreme Updated 8 Jun 2010 , 10:53am by luv2bake6

Dreme Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:19am
post #1 of 4

As it has warmed up outside my cookie dough has seemed to just turn on me. Before it would pull from the sides of the bowl with my beater blade and make a ball on its own. Now it spreads around the bowl. Doesn't really form the ball anymore. I kinda have to shape it into one. That and when I bake them, they don't hold the cutter shape as cleanly as it did before. even with all the chilling in the fridge. I have not changed any of my methods. Is this normal in the summer months? Never had this problem in the cooler months.

The recipe I use is from joy of baking. Anybody else tried this? I have another recipe that taste more buttery than sweet. Haven't tried it since it's gotten warmer, thinking that might not work as well.

3 replies
bbmom Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:31am
post #2 of 4

Hmmm, I use NFSC from this site but I use only 1/4t baking powder instead of the 1tsp it calls for. I never have to chill it, just roll it, cut and bake. One day when it was in the 90's here I did notice it was softer than usual so I had to use a spatula to transfer the cut cookies to the cookie sheet, but they baked up just fine. Everyone I have made them for raves about the taste.

verono Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:50am
post #3 of 4

I have an air conditionner... no problem icon_wink.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:53am
post #4 of 4

When it's very humid, doughs tend to need more flour to account for the extra moisture. I usually go by the feel of the dough as opposed to what the recipe calls for. Add flour in slowly and keep feeling the dough; it should not be sticky but rather soft to the touch.
I'm thinking that because your dough seemed 'wetter' and the fact that it spread even after chilling, that you needed more flour mixed into your dough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%