Making Fondant Seals For A Circus Cake

Decorating By Mishcard Updated 8 Jun 2010 , 7:20pm by Price

Mishcard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mishcard Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:16am
post #1 of 3

Hello, this is my first attempt at making fondant animals or any type of fondant sculpture. Could anyone please help me or give me a website that has step by step instructions or a tutorial on how to make a seal? It looks pretty simple to do but I don't have a lot of time to play around since my 2 & 1/2 year old want to have her hands & mouth on anything that has to do with cakes or decorating them. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could offer.

Thanks a bunch!

2 replies
Sharaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sharaine Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 3

I just made a fondant Dolphin which turned out well. What I did was go to Michaels with a coupon and purchased the 'Amazing Mold Putty' from the clay section. They also sell plastic animals and I found a dolphin. I made a couple of molds before I got what I wanted. I did add gumtex to my grey fondant to stiffen it before putting it into the mold. I hope I have helped you.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 3

A seal shouldn't be too hard. I would look at seals on line and get some good pictures to use as a model. I normally use Satin Ice fondant with a little tylose powder kneaded in for modeling. The Tylose powder helps the fondant to firm up more quickly. Knead your fondant well before you start working with it. Take the amount of fondant you think you will want for the size Seal you want to make, coat the palms of your hands with a very light amount of crisco and roll the fondant into a ball. From there start working it in you hands and fingers to get the shape of the seal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%