Is There A Right Contact Paper To Cover The Boards?

Decorating By LuvLyrics Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 12:37pm by LuvLyrics

LuvLyrics Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:15am
post #1 of 6

I got a contact paper to cover my cake boards, but I am wondering if I need to buy one brand on specific. I wasn't able to cover my wooden board and I haven't try it on anything else. Where do you get your contact paper? I bought mine from the kitchen section at Walmart.

Thanks for any advice...

5 replies
KathysCC Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:55am
post #2 of 6

Contact paper is not food safe. The plastics have chemicals which can leach out into food. If you cover the board with contact paper, you must cover that with a food safe paper, like cake foil.

bmoser24 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:27am
post #3 of 6

Hi, I cover my boards in contact paper, but I leave my cake on it's cake board that is the size of the bottom tier. The cake , on a board just sits on decorated cake board. I use the kitchen brand, white and clear if i use deco paper. I think that would be safe, esp cause i dont place cake on deco board untill ready to finish and deliver. I would like to hear others opinion as well~ icon_rolleyes.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:02am
post #4 of 6

As long as you have a barrier between what will be eaten and the contact paper, you're fine thumbs_up.gif

As for it not sticking to wood, I had that experience when trying to cover a wooden box for a craft project a long time ago. With the smoothness of the wood, and perhaps the sealant, prevented it from getting a good hold.

I would think that if you make the piece big enough, you could use duct tape on the back of the board to hold the contact paper in place.

tracycakes Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 6

I used the clear sealing/packing tape on the bottom. It holds well and is thin so no unevenness on the bottom.

LuvLyrics Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:37pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for your opinions ! I always put a board under my cakes before I place it on the decorated board. I will have to try the tape and a different paper. I wanted to try contact paper b/c I've read of others using it, even Planet Cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%