Not Sure What Happened, But I Need Advice

Decorating By kimbm04r Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 2:04am by Montrealconfections

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:14am
post #1 of 14

Yesterday I baked a 6" cake using BC Butter Recipe Yellow Mix and instead of using the 1/2 cup of butter I used a 1/2 cup of oil. I didn't have any problem with it baking.

Today I do another batch of the same cake mix but instead of mixing 1 box, I mixed 3 using 1 1/2 cups of oil. I baked this 10" cake for over an hour (not sure how many times I set the timer again). I had 6 1/2 cups batter in the pan and a damp cotton towel around it to help with the baking (this I wrapped double for the first time because the towel I was using was long enough to wrap twice). Before I took it out of the oven it tested done using the toothpick method (it was even springing back when touched in the center), it raised the most level I have gotton one to rise. I placed it, in it's pan, on the cooling rack and it looked great. After a few minutes it seperated from the side of the pan and fell just a short amount. I turned it out of the pan onto the cooling rack (top side down) and then flipped it back to it's bottom. That is when everything went south, literally. As I held it between the two cooling racks to flip back to the bottom side, I noticed that the cake was now about 1 1/2 inches tall now and the sides were bulging out from it. Then I looked at the cooling rack and the cake was literally oozing through the grid in the cooling rack. I am so upset at the moment. This is for my very first wedding cake order.

What did I do wrong? I have one box of regular Yellow Cake Mix left and I just noticed that it calls for 1/3 cup oil. Should I have used only 1/3 cup oil per box since I was using oil instead of the called-for butter (didn't notice the difference before). Should I mix up the regular box of mix that I have but don't use any oil in it and then mix this with the left over batter I have from the previous batch? I should have enough to make both 10" cakes if I use this last regular box of cake mix.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. Going to go make Dinner and await your replys.

13 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:38am
post #2 of 14

I always use butter when I make DH Butter Recipe Golden (yellow.) It is difficult to bake larger sizes. Probably shouldn't substitute oil for butter. The cake mix is probably developed to be used with butter - not oil.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:50am
post #3 of 14

I agree, I wouldn't mess with using oil instead of butter in a "butter recipe" mix.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:51am
post #4 of 14

Me, three!

If the recipe calls for butter--it IS a butter cake recipe--why would you change it to oil??????????

Butter isn't just fat/oil---it's 8082 percent milk fat, 1617 percent water, and 12 percent milk solids other than fat. Oil 1 for 1 to butter is no comparison and it SHOULDN'T work correctly in the recipe.

Please, for someone's wedding cake, start over and use only the fat called for in the recipe.

JMHO
Rae

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:58am
post #5 of 14

Rae ya said it perfectly

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:18am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Me, three!

If the recipe calls for butter--it IS a butter cake recipe--why would you change it to oil??????????

Butter isn't just fat/oil---it's 8082 percent milk fat, 1617 percent water, and 12 percent milk solids other than fat. Oil 1 for 1 to butter is no comparison and it SHOULDN'T work correctly in the recipe.

Please, for someone's wedding cake, start over and use only the fat called for in the recipe.

JMHO
Rae

Good advice. thumbs_up.gif

kimbm04r Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 5:02am
post #7 of 14

Thanks everyone. I was afraid of that. When I bought them, I didn't realize they were a butter recipe and I didn't have the butter needed for them. I went ahead and used the only regular mix I had and didn't put any oil in it to see what would happen. I baked the first cake and it took over an hour (had to put it back in the oven because the bottom still wasn't done completely). I am still not sure if it is cooked completely yet. I have it wrapped up setting on the counter to see what it is like in the morning. I am sure my husband won't mind sampling it later.

I will get more cake mix in the morning and start over again. This is my very first wedding cake order and I want to make sure that this customer is completely satisfied. The only input into this cake from her is the flavor. Other than that, she has given me full liberty.

It is only for 35, so I am making a 6" anniversary tier, a 10" middle tier with a 14" dummy base.

Thanks everyone. I will be sure to post the picture when I get it finished.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 6:10am
post #8 of 14

I use dH cake mix(or any, i still would), and always mix with:
1 sm. pudding
4 eggs
1 C. sour cream
1/3 c. oil
1 c. liquid-water or juice, etc.
Bake @ 325 till done
No matter what size...always perfect! No nails, no wraps, no bumps or cracks, just perfect cake.
Pan lined w/wax paper on bottom. Bakers oil mix for grease.

kimbm04r Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 14

When you "extend" a cake mix, what type of pudding do you use, instant, cook or does it matter?

I have got my cake mix bought again and was thinking about trying the recipe that bmoser23 posted but not sure what kind of pudding to use. Bought both to be safe.

Thanks.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 9:48pm
post #10 of 14

One more little suggestion; I know that you didn't ask for one.

But I would just do the recipe you normally use , just for the fact that the cake if for an actual customer; you dont know how a new recipe might turn out.

Remember that just because :BMOSER24 : gets a perfect cake every time it doesn't mean you will . Take in consideration that your oven temp might be differ as well as climate depending on where you live.

I am by no means trying to be a bully nor wish to offend you.
I wish you the best of luck and hope your cake comes out wonderful.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:01pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbm04r

When you "extend" a cake mix, what type of pudding do you use, instant, cook or does it matter?

I have got my cake mix bought again and was thinking about trying the recipe that bmoser23 posted but not sure what kind of pudding to use. Bought both to be safe.

Thanks.

I only use instant.

I use a WASC recipe--very similar to what is posted above-- for all of my cakes and I love the results. Recipe below:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2322/white-almond-sour-cream-cake-wasc

For non-white mixes/cakes, I use 6 large eggs rather than 8 egg whites. I use Duncan Hines mixes 95% of the time. I add a complimentary flavor of instant pudding. I use whatever extract I think sounds good at the time.

Hope it works out well for you.
Rae

kimbm04r Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:12pm
post #12 of 14

ayerim979..not offended at all. I was thinking that as well because this order came from a recommendation of someone that has already tasted my cakes and she will be at the wedding.

BlakesCakes...thanks for the response. I may have to try that later and see how it works out.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:47am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbm04r

Thanks.

I use a flavor that goes with my cake, small size, instant type
Hope you like it! Nor only do I, so does everone else.
Thinking, that pans also have alot to do with it, I have purchased some nice quality pans.

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:04am
post #14 of 14

When baking a large cake I use a 2nd pan in the same size as a cover on the cake, it keeps the moisture & heat in the cake cooks so it cooks faster and more evenly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%