Stacking Cakes On Their Sides

Decorating By Marniela Updated 8 Jun 2010 , 4:39am by Marniela

Marniela Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 10

I've got an order for a 3D pig cake and I'm wondering the best way to do it--round pans stacked on their side or carving from sheet cakes. There are a couple on this site and they have been made by using rounds stacked together and then sliced to make a flat end and then you prop the cakes up. I'm wondering if I do this if 1. the cakes will stay together and 2. can I then torte the cakes and fill? I just don't want someone to end up getting a piece of cake with no icing at all. Does that make sense? Anyone have any tips or ideas?

9 replies
LilaLoa Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 10

I used 2 metal mixing bowls to make my pig body and head. So easy and simple.

CWR41 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 10

Round cakes stacked on their side won't stay together if you're planning to leave them on their side without using some sort of bookend design that forces them to stay together.

If you're worried someone would get a slice of cake without icing, you should slap some icing between all of your stacked layers first, and then carve the shape. I hope this helps.

Marniela Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:05am
post #4 of 10

Thanks for the responses. Avalyn, what did you do for icing? CWR41, do you mean carve the shape with the cakes on their side? Yes, I was going to put buttercream between the layers before I prop them up... will that work??

CWR41 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:20am
post #5 of 10

No. I don't understand why you'd want to try carving cakes that are stacked on their side only to prop them up later. They won't stay together while you're trying to carve them, so why not just carve while they're flat and in the position they're going to remain???

JanelleH Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:49am
post #6 of 10

Do not try to stand layers up on their sides; they won't stay upright whether you have icing between them or not, and you'll end up with a pig falling apart in layers. Just stack some sheet cake flat on your board, with icing between each layer. Chill it and carve out your pig.

Marniela Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:50am
post #7 of 10

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly. If I use the rounds then I wouldn't have to carve, but they would be on their sides. If I go the sheet cake route then I would stack and icing flat but would have to carve them to a round shape. That's my dilemna..

Marniela Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:56am
post #8 of 10

Thanks JanelleH... I'll go that route icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:22am
post #9 of 10

For my "green eggs and ham" cake I used five 6" rounds laying on their "sides" and I carved it at the back to make the end of the "ham". It is doable because I've done it. Picture is in my photos. I leveled, filled and crumbcoated then put a bbq skewer thru the center of my cakes. I laid the rounds on their side and carved them to make the ham.

I covered it with fondant after carving and the cake never fell apart and held it's shape just fine. thumbs_up.gif

Marniela Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:39am
post #10 of 10

Thanks Mamawrobin... glad to know that it's doable. Maybe I'll do a trial run and see.

Quote by @%username% on %date%