What's Under The Fondant?

Decorating By sweettooth622 Updated 8 Jun 2010 , 1:17am by BlakesCakes

sweettooth622 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 6

I'm still pretty new at this cake baking & decorating stuff and I haven't taken any classes so far....so I hope someone more experienced than I will be able to help.
I don't bake many chocolate cakes, but the ones I have baked...I haven't covered in fondant because I wasn't sure if chocolate icing would work underneath fondant or even taste good in combo with it. I'm also afraid regular buttercream icing won't taste good in combo with a chocolate cake....?
Can any type of icing be used under fondant or does it have to be a crusting type of icing so that the fondant stays put & you don't get "elephant skin" or worse?
Any help is MUCH appreciated! Thank you icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
KayMc Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 6

You could use chocolate buttercream, or chocolate ganache under the fondant if you wanted to.

mbark Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:17am
post #3 of 6

I just wanted to say that chocolate cake with regular white icing is one of my favorite combos, it tastes really good!

emjay83 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:53am
post #4 of 6

You can combine chocolate cake with so many different flavors... Nearly any buttercream will work -- regular, chocolate, almond, strawberry, coconut, raspberry, orange, mint, etc. Cream cheese icing is also delicious with chocolate. I prefer to use non-crusting icings under fondant, so it has something to stick to when smoothing, and you prevent bubbles forming from sections that have pulled away. But you can use crusting, if you prefer. In that case, I'd recommend dampening the bottom edge of the icing very slightly as you're working, to get the fondant to adhere better. Be careful not put on too much icing, though -- a little thicker than a crumb coat should do it (otherwise it tends to squish and bulge when fondant is being smoothed.)

Ganache is also wonderful, but make sure to let it set all the way before putting your fondant on top. Fondant + too much moisture = sticky goo.

Have fun trying out all the yummy options! icon_smile.gif

emjay83 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:09am
post #5 of 6

Oh, btw, most fondant has a fairly neutral flavor, and tastes fine with chocolate cake. You can also buy flavored fondants (Fondarific makes some), or add your own different flavorings if you decide to make it yourself.

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:17am
post #6 of 6

As was said, you can put any flavor of buttercream under the fondant that you like. Fondant is very neutral in flavor--unless you buy one of the flavored varieties--so putting chocolate buttercream under it doesn't really affect it.

As for elephant skin, that has nothing at all to do with what's under the fondant. It's a result of the surface of the fondant being so dry that it forms tiny stress cracks in the surface is stretched over a shape.

You can control elephant skin by rolling quickly and applying the fondant immediately. If it's a really large piece, roll under a piece of vinyl. If you still get some, you can massage a bit of crisco onto problem areas right away and it will improve a lot.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%