Help With Rolling Fondant On A Silicone Mat

Decorating By donnella2045 Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 2:35pm by vdrsolo

donnella2045 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone,
I never rolled fondant on a silicone mat. I've heard you can flip the fondant from the mat directly onto the cake. Has anyone done this? Do I need to grease the mat lightly or dust with confectioners sugar? I use Satin Ice, if it makes a difference. I've been having trouble with my fondant lately - elephant skin, tears. I really could use all of your expert advice now that i'm expanding from only making buttercream cakes.

8 replies
AmandaGudi Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 9

Hello!

I use a large silicon mat and love it! I usually put a thin coat of crisco on the mat before I roll out the fondant, and once it's rolled to a size that I am sure will cover the cake I just flip the whole thing (mat and fondant) onto my cake, fondant side down, and then I just peel the mat off! Soo easy and works great! I used to have the thin wilton mat and it was horrible for me, I love love love my silicon one! Hope this helps!

Malakin Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 9

I'll repeat everything AmandaGudi said! I wouldn't do it any other way. You can even pick the mat up and reposition it sometimes if I didn't place it exactly right on the cake the first time.

DebraJ Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 9

This is the BEST way to apply fondant to your cakes!

AngelFood4 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 9

What type of silicone mat do you all use? I have a Silpat that has tiny little bumps all over it that show up through the fondant that is up against it.

KayMc Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 9

Please say what brand of mat you have, as I want to buy one. I'm using the thin Wilton mat, and want something better. Thanks!

Connie1027 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 9

I'm also interested in a silicone mat. I checked the link and there are several brands. Which brand works well for you? They are fairly expensive so I'd like to get the best one. Thanks!!!!

crazyladybaker Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 9

I have a big piece of vinyl that I use for large pieces and it works fine. I also have a big PVC pipe for a roller and use it sometimes to transfer the fondant.
The pvc I use is for water pipes...plumbing.

vdrsolo Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:35pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaGudi

Hello!

I use a large silicon mat and love it! I usually put a thin coat of crisco on the mat before I roll out the fondant, and once it's rolled to a size that I am sure will cover the cake I just flip the whole thing (mat and fondant) onto my cake, fondant side down, and then I just peel the mat off! Soo easy and works great! I used to have the thin wilton mat and it was horrible for me, I love love love my silicon one! Hope this helps!

This is the way I do it as well, use a large Ateco silicone mat. Ever since I started doing this way I have had less bubbles and no elephant skin!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%