Preparing For 1St Wedding Cake Order...need A Few Ideas

Decorating By adamsmom Updated 8 Jun 2010 , 3:26pm by adamsmom

adamsmom Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 3

My first wedding cake order is quickly appraching and I am trying to figure out a timeline. It will be a 3-tiered square cake (16-12-8, I believe). I will need a total of ~300 servings. So aside from the main cake, there will be a 9x13 grooms cake and the rest they would like in cupcakes. So, this isn't a problem, just trying to plan out my week. I am planning on doing as much baking this week and freezing the cakes so all I have to do next week is defrost and decorate. What I'm worried about taking up a majority of my time is the scroll work that the Bride wants on the cake. So now finally my question.... If I were to ice and decorate the main wedding cake and grooms cake on Thursday, so I can focus on the cupcakes Friday, would that be Okay to do? I am torting with a buttercream icing and the cake will be iced in a crusting buttercream only, no fondant. I'll attach a picture of the cake she sent me to go off of. Any advice would be appreciated. P.S. I work a full time job and have a toddler at home, so I get most of my work done after 8:30pm. Thanks again!
LL

2 replies
KHalstead Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 3

I would probably do it the opposite and get the cupcakes out of the way first (stick them into those clamshell cases on Thursday night and then use Frid. to focus on the cake!

adamsmom Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks KHalstead! I'll probably do that instead. Makes sense now that you mention it! I just finished up another practice cake and I'm pretty happy with it. I'll try to get on and post a picture of it tonight. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%