Decorating By QueenOfSweets Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 9:01pm by live2create

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:54pm
post #31 of 41

I love it!!!!!

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:09pm
post #32 of 41

I've been wanting to do a cake like this for some time now. I love the look. Good luck with this order. Make sure to add it in your album.

QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:10pm
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debcent

Beautiful cake!! Did you end-up using the sugar over bc or fondant?

It's the sparkling sugar over buttercream. It was a lot easier to apply than I thought it would be, but it's definitely messy.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:56pm
post #34 of 41

Congratulations, your cake is fabulous!

TartletteTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TartletteTreats Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:11pm
post #35 of 41

Beautiful cake - do you mind telling me where you got the brooches?

QueenOfSweets Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:50pm
post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by resmiff2

Beautiful cake - do you mind telling me where you got the brooches?

I don't know where the brooches were purchased. The bride bought them to match her dress and brought them to me. I can tell you they were true pin-back brooches and not very heavy. I believe I've seen something similar at Younkers department stores before.

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:42pm
post #37 of 41

I made a cake very similar to this and I can tell you how I did it! I used "edible glitter" flakes. They are like gelatin flakes and come in all colors!

What I did was cover the cakes in fondant. Brush with piping gel, then liberally coat the sides and tops of the cakes!

It's a very simple technique! And you can probably find the glitter flakes on just about any cake supply website! I found mine at my local bakery supply store.

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:06pm
post #38 of 41

how did you get the product to stick to the sides of the cake.I am thinking you applied to wet buttercreme, did you tip the layers slightly to get and even layer

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:12pm
post #39 of 41

Absolutely beautiful!!! Congratulations. Now I want to try this look. My newphew is getting married in Sept. Going to show them this cake. I do have license to do what I want, but still want to give them something they will be happy with.

QueenOfSweets Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 8:34pm
post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2create

how did you get the product to stick to the sides of the cake.I am thinking you applied to wet buttercreme, did you tip the layers slightly to get and even layer

I've heard of others tipping the tiers to apply, but that's not what I did. I have a very small spray bottle that I use just for cakes. It's called a fingertip spray bottle, and it's only about 4 inches high. You spritz with your index finger instead of a trigger and it sprays a very light mist out. I iced the tiers in buttercream, let them crust, then stacked the cake. I then started at the top and worked down to apply the sugar. I spritzed the area I was going to cover a small amount at a time and very lightly. I then took a gloved hand and dipped into a bowl of the sugar. Starting at the bottom of the tier, I held my hand very lightly against the tier and moved upward. The sugar was lightly applied on the icing in about a 3" wide swatch. I then spritzed the area next to that and did it again. When I was finished all the way around the tier, there was a mound of sugar around the base of the tier. Using a very soft pastry brush, I lightly brushed it off until the base of the tier looked like the sides. Does that all make sense? It's hard to describe but not hard to do!

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 9:01pm
post #41 of 41

So once the buttercreme has crusted you lightly spray water on the frosting then appy the sugar starting from top to bottom, very nice effect and thanks for sharing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%