Aquarium Cake

Decorating By lam159

lam159 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 1

For all of those who have helped me with tips, their experience, and their know-how...I wanted to say a very much appreciated THANK YOU!!!!! thumbs_up.gif My daughter's cake was a hit...she didn't want me to cut it! lol...for me personally, I had a few trouble sharks didn't turn out well at all (in my opinion)..disappointed with those...they actually looked better w/o the fondant...but i was tired and time was running out!!! It was already close to 1 am and the party started only 12 hours later! I read somewhere on here about using sugar free candy for the isomalt (coral)...I tried that and it came out great!...except for when it started to melt. My neighbor and I thought it might have been due to the some ice being stuck in the we put it in a walk in cooler...that didn't work either...I was a little bummed about was really cool looking. So once that didn't work, i went to plan b..grape stems and royal worked out really well again...only this time...i had left it on the counter so it would dry and to the restaurant (where I had been working on this at) and low n behold...someone had stuck the coral in the cooler! Needless to say, it wasn't hard enough for me to put another layer on still turned out pretty though...i would do that method again.

indeb's buttercream recipe...wonderful! however...and I am sure this is my fault...the first batch came out great...I was sooo let me set the stage for this...THERE WAS NOT A MEASURING CUP (FOR DRY INGRED) ANYWHERE TO BE FOUND IN THIS RESTAURANT!!!! icon_cry.gif I couldn't believe it!!! So I winged it! Like I said, the first batch...wonderful...I am pretty sure it was the 2nd batch I did, it was soo smooth, maybe too smooth...if thats even wouldn't crust...i tried adding more powder sugar and everything...not sure what I did on that one...the 3rd batch came out pretty wouldn't crust either...but at that point...i wasn't sure if it was due to the the crumb coat not crusting...i wasn't worring about still stayed on the cake and that was my main goal at that point!!! icon_biggrin.gif

All of the candy on the cake was a hit...i kept telling the kids...and adults when necessary that the big fish and big turtles had different stuff in was all in the eyes for the turtles and the fish were different colors. The seashells that were bi-colored had some type of filling in it. all of the candy went...i was happy about that.

So here's the bottom line...the pics of the cake i had in my head was not what i produced. But, I will say this...for this being my 1st "important" cake EVER...not

when I get a chance i will put some pics of it on here...but remember...PLEASE be gentle!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I still have to put on a few pics of cakes I have made recently. I just made a girl from work a cake (yesterday/last night) for her b-day. It didn't turn out too bad.

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%