Help! Purchasing Square Cake Pans.. 2'' Or 3'' Deep??

Decorating By BetsyBaker Updated 8 Jun 2010 , 9:02pm by catlharper

BetsyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BetsyBaker Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 11

I was hired to make a wedding cake for July but It will be my first square wedding cake... I need to purchase the pans!! I was looking into Magic Line and Fat Daddio's 14'', 10'' and 6'' - but I have NO CLUE what would be the better investment- 2'' deep or 3''? Experienced bakers comment only! HELP icon_smile.gif

10 replies
robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 11

Well I was going to add in a comment or two, since I've seen and asked this question myself... but I'm not an experienced baker, so I guess I'm out. tapedshut.gif

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 11

I personally like 2" pans, I find that the 3" take too long to bake. I also like a 4" tall tier. So when you bake two 2" cakes, level and fill...you come out to 4" tall. Also, I like Magic Line and only have FD in the larger odd sizes, which ML does not carry

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 11

it's all personal preference and what you offer as a standard for your cakes. I like to have 4"-4-1/2" tall cakes, so I bake two 2" cakes and torte each one. Other bakers use the 3" pans torte once or twice and use that as a tier.

So what do you want to offer?

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 11

It never hurts to have 3inch pans.

You CAN bake a 2 inch cake ina 3inch pan....but you can't bake a 3inch cake in a 2 inch pan.

I love 3 inch pans, but I don't always bake 3 inch cakes in them! thumbs_up.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 11

I'd go for the 2". I would never ever recommend baking a 3" square cake. Just tooooo long of a bake - makes for dry cake and a whole host of other issues.

BetsyBaker Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 5:01am
post #7 of 11

Wow. Thanks so much for the replies!! I went with Fat Daddio's square pan set in the 2'' depth ( Magic Line was sold out of the sizes I needed) I and figure since I prefer a 4'' height- it should be perfect. I also had concerns about the extended cooking time for the 3''- thanks for clearing that up for me!

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:36pm
post #8 of 11

Fat Daddios pans are good, and they are easier to clean than Magic Line. I already had all my Magic Line and supplemented them with the larger odd square sizes. Fat Daddios seems to brown more on the sides...but maybe it's just my recipe, I still use baking strips for anything 8" and above (left over from the Wilton pan days) and haven't tried them without). I also use upside flower nails.

I used to own 3" pans, and yes, I could bake a 2" cake...but there were times that the cake would would crack when coming out, just that little bit of travel where the cooling rack was not butted up against the cake..

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:47pm
post #9 of 11

I vote for the 2" pans also. The 3" deep pans just don't bake right for me. But then I do not like FD pans at all. Yes, they're easier to clean, but they also bake "funny."

BetsyBaker Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 8:29pm
post #10 of 11

I purchased the 7 piece set (ranging from 4''- 14'') off of the FD website for $98 including shipping. Not a bad deal. I can't wait to try them so I can reply back!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 9:02pm
post #11 of 11

I have a mix. 2" ML square pans and 3" springform round pans. I actually like the 3" better since by the time I level my cake it's about 2 inches anyways...makes for a 4 inch cake once filled and settled.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%