Resume/portfolio Help

Business By SweetMN Updated 12 Jun 2010 , 12:58am by mamawrobin

SweetMN Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 4

I'm looking to get a job cake decorating. Anyone have suggestions for my resume and/or portfolio? I know it should look different then a business resume. Thanks!

3 replies
CWR41 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 4

If you're open to posting what city/state/county you live or are interested in working, there may be business owners right here that are in need who would gladly accept your resume.

Otherwise, I'd recommend going into your local bakeries to fill out their application. Many bakeries won't care to look at your portfolio, because they aren't interested in what you can do in your own time at home... they are more interested in what you can do for them in the way in which they'll train you. So, I'd work on just getting out there and applying. If you decide to bring along a few photos of your work just in case they'd like examples of your talent, it wouldn't hurt to be prepared, but I wouldn't expect they'd take the time to view many. Some places will ask you to perform a skills test on the spot, so you might expect to be prepared for that as well.

SweetMN Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 12:42am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

If you're open to posting what city/state/county you live or are interested in working, there may be business owners right here that are in need who would gladly accept your resume.

Otherwise, I'd recommend going into your local bakeries to fill out their application. Many bakeries won't care to look at your portfolio, because they aren't interested in what you can do in your own time at home... they are more interested in what you can do for them in the way in which they'll train you. So, I'd work on just getting out there and applying. If you decide to bring along a few photos of your work just in case they'd like examples of your talent, it wouldn't hurt to be prepared, but I wouldn't expect they'd take the time to view many. Some places will ask you to perform a skills test on the spot, so you might expect to be prepared for that as well.

Thanks, Twin Cities, Minnesota

mamawrobin Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 12:58am
post #4 of 4

When I applied for my job I was ask to decorate a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%